• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Taliban Signs Contract For Completion of 500 KV Electricity Transmission

Nov 15, 2023, 12:31 GMT+0

Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS) and the private company "Afghan Invest" have signed the contract for completion of 500 KV Sheberghan-Dashte Alwan electricity transmission project and enhance the development of the Dashte Alwan substation.

The Taliban said that the total value of the contract is USD 36 million.

According to Bakhtar news agency, the contract was signed on Wednesday, in the presence of Abdul Ghani Baradar, the Taliban’s deputy prime minister for economic affairs.

The Taliban said that this project will be completed in the next two years.

Baradar stated that in this project, aside from enhancing Afghanistan's industry, DABS will benefit monetarily.

According to a statement from Mullah Baradar's office, Afghan Invest company is set to complete the 500 KV power line project between Sheberghan and Dashte Alwan, spanning over 305 kilometers, within the next two years.

The Taliban stated that approximately 76 percent of the project has been completed, and Afghan Invest is tasked with finishing the remaining 23 percent of the work.

Most Viewed

EU Invitation To Taliban Sparks Political Backlash And Criticism
1

EU Invitation To Taliban Sparks Political Backlash And Criticism

2

Afghans Ignore Pakistan’s Decades Of Hospitality, Says Balochistan Chief Minister

3

India Sends 20 Tones Of Vaccine Supplies To Afghanistan

4

Afghanistan Is Unsafe For Returning Refugees, Says UN Rapporteur

5

NRF Leader Praises EU Lawmakers For Opposing Taliban Normalisation

•
•
•

More Stories

Taliban Leader Blocks Group’s Senior Members From Distributing Land Near Qosh Tapa Canal

Nov 15, 2023, 11:31 GMT+0

The Taliban's Ministry of Agriculture has called reports of land distribution around the Qosh Tapa canal as “baseless”.

The ministry emphasised that without explicit instructions from Hibatullah Akhundzada, the Taliban leader, no entity is authorised to allocate, trade, or claim ownership of lands near the canal.

In a recent statement, the Ministry urged the public to refrain from attempting to acquire land around the Qosh Tapa Canal until a formal directive is issued by the Taliban's leadership.

This clarification comes amid rising speculation over the past few months about land allocations in the Qosh Tapa development area. Reports suggested that lands near the canal were being distributed to Taliban members.

Last year, the National Resistance Front accused the Taliban of allocating lands around the canal to individuals, including those allegedly transferred from Pakistan, and other outsiders.

Additionally, there have been allegations of certain companies involved in the Qosh Tapa project offering land in exchange for financial compensation.

Mullah Baradar, the Taliban's Deputy Prime Minister, has responded to these allegations, warning that anyone found engaging in unauthorised land distribution activities or financial transactions will face severe legal consequences.

The Qosh Tapa Canal, stretching approximately 270 kilometres, originates in the Kaldar district of Balkh and passes through Jowzjan province before reaching Faryab province. The Taliban has invested substantially in this project over the last two years. The canal, which diverts a portion of the Amu River's water, aims to irrigate about 550,000 hectares of land and potentially relocate up to three million people. Critics, however, view this as a strategic manoeuvre by the Taliban to relocate populations for specific objectives.

Taliban Asks Pakistan To Release Hundreds of Afghan Traders’ Containers From Karachi Port

Nov 15, 2023, 09:54 GMT+0

Following the halt of over three thousand containers belonging to Afghan traders in Karachi, the Taliban has urged Pakistan to release these shipments.

Pakistani officials have said that these goods are initially sent to Afghanistan with customs exemptions but are subsequently smuggled back into Pakistan.

Pakistan claims that Afghan traders have caused millions of dollars in financial losses to Pakistan by avoiding customs duties.

On Tuesday, AFP reported that Taliban officials said that Pakistan imposed excessive taxes and customs duties on Afghan traders, resulting in millions of dollars in damages due to the halt of containers.

A Taliban official from the consulate in Peshawar told AFP that hundreds of containers have been stopped since several months ago and some shipments have been detained for more than a year.

This Taliban official said that the goods inside the containers are getting worn out and the traders have suffered a lot of losses.

In a statement, the Afghan Embassy in Islamabad mentioned that Nooruddin Azizi, the Taliban’s Minister of Commerce and Industry, discussed transit issues concerning goods with the Foreign Minister of Pakistan on Monday. However, Pakistan has not publicly responded to this request as of yet.

Afghan businessmen face challenges in Pakistan while, in a tripartite meeting on Tuesday with the Taliban and Uzbekistan, Gohar Ejaz, the Minister of Industries of Pakistan, emphasised on the need for the continued and strengthened commercial and economic relations among these three countries. He demanded that all three nations should have access to new markets.

Ejaz stated that the tripartite meeting is an important step towards close economic cooperation and provides the basis for increasing trade, investment and economic relations.

Over 327,000 Afghan Immigrants Return from Pakistan in 2 Months, UN Reports

Nov 14, 2023, 16:19 GMT+0

Daniel Enders, head of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), announced on Tuesday that more than 327,000 refugees have returned from Pakistan to Afghanistan over the last two months.

Enders called the condition of the returnees dire and said that most of those who return to Afghanistan do not have shelter.

He visited the Torkham border crossing to check the situation of migrants and he said that he witnessed thousands of Afghans returning from Pakistan. He described that many of them are in bad condition.

The UN Humanitarian Coordinator emphasised that, in conversations with the returnees, they expressed that there is no place for them to call home in Afghanistan.

Given the onset of winter, he said that the immigrants need shelter. However, Enders explained that all available tents, blankets, and relief items had been distributed to the victims of an earthquake in Herat a month ago.

OCHA said that the sudden influx has put immense pressure on existing resources and capacities, including shelter and basic services. It called for urgent support for the immigrants.

Taliban’s Energy Minister Meets Iran’s Officials For Extension of Power Import Agreement

Nov 14, 2023, 15:12 GMT+0

Abdul Latif Mansur, the Taliban's Minister of Energy and Water, met with Ali Akbar Mehrabian, Iran's Minister of Energy, in Tehran and discussed the extension of the contract for importing electricity from Iran to Afghanistan.

Over 70 percent of Afghanistan's electricity is supplied from neighbouring countries.

In addition to Iran, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan are also among the countries exporting electricity to Afghanistan.

In the last two years, reports have been published indicating that the Taliban has incurred debts to these countries due to the consumption of imported electricity.

In a statement on Tuesday, the Taliban’s Ministry of Energy wrote that the officials of the group and Iran are reviewing all aspects of the extension of the electricity contract for an agreement.

During his trip to Iran, Mansur also visited the Siah Bisheh dam, located in the north of Tehran, which is the source of 1000 megawatts of electricity.

Taliban Shuts Down Educational Centers for Girls In Herat, Say Local Sources

Nov 14, 2023, 14:08 GMT+0

Local sources in Herat confirmed that the Taliban prevented female students from attending classes by attacking educational centers.

An educational center official said that the armed Taliban officials took pictures of the girls in the classrooms and asked them to leave the educational center.

According to him, the Taliban fighters said on Tuesday that the girls did not adhere to the hijab preferences of the group and that male teachers were teaching in their classes.

Local officials told Afghanistan International that the Taliban's education administration in Herat has closed several educational centers in Herat. In some of these centers, girls were studying English, German and computers courses.

According to sources, some other girls' educational centers in Herat have also closed their doors due to the fear of the Taliban.

A female student told Afghanistan International that the Taliban had taken action to close the gates of girls' educational centers in Herat, three days ago.

She added that the armed Taliban officials prevented girls from going to classes at the entrances of the school.

A teacher at one of the educational centers said that the Taliban had asked them to close the center a few days ago. He added that the officials of the center informed the girls to refrain from coming there for a few days.

Yet the Taliban have not commented on the closure of girls' educational centers, but some sources in the Taliban's education administration said that the closure is temporary.

Over the last two years, the Taliban has not only prohibited girls from attending schools beyond the sixth grade, but also barred women from going to universities.

Over the past few months, there have been reports that the Taliban banned girls from going to educational centers in Kabul.

The group has imposed extensive restrictions on women and girls. Based on these restrictions, women are not allowed to work in non-governmental organisations. The group has also banned women from sports and recreation.