• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Norway Refuses To Hand Over Afghan Embassy To Taliban In Response To Hibatullah's Decree

Dec 6, 2024, 09:39 GMT+0

Espen Barth Eide, Norway's foreign minister, announced that he would not accept the group's representative as Afghanistan's ambassador to Oslo due to the Taliban's treatment of women.

He said that his country's relations with the Taliban would decline and the Taliban's demand to take over the Afghan embassy in Oslo would not be accepted.

However, Espen Barth Eide said on Thursday that his country would accept only one "Afghan official" to handle "consular affairs, visas and other urgent issues".

He did not specify whether the Afghan official belongs to the Taliban administration or will hand over consular affairs to one of the diplomats of the former government.

Norway closed the Afghan embassy in Oslo on September 12 at the request of the Taliban. For the past three years, the Afghan embassy has been run by diplomats loyal to the former Afghan government.

After the closure of the embassy in Oslo, there were reports that Norway was planning to hand over the embassy to the Taliban.

"We have made it clear to the Taliban that this is not possible," Norwegian Foreign Minister Espen Barth Eide said, AFP reported. "Recently, new restrictions have been imposed in Afghanistan, which have specifically affected Afghan women and girls," he added.

The Taliban leader this week closed private and public medical institutes to girls and women. Medical institutes were the only institutions where women continued to be trained in midwifery and nursing.

Norway is one of the few European countries that has had relations and cooperation with the Taliban since the beginning. However, the Taliban's extensive restrictions on women have caused the country to reconsider its relations.

Many human rights organisations and some countries have called the Taliban's increasing restrictions on women and girls a clear example of crimes against humanity and gender apartheid.

Most Viewed

Taliban Minister Meets Shia Figures, Says All Sects Are Respected
1

Taliban Minister Meets Shia Figures, Says All Sects Are Respected

2

Gold Mine Tensions Escalate As Taliban Arrest Commanders’ Relatives

3

Iran Plans To Broaden Energy & Water Cooperation With Taliban

4

Central Asian Security Hinges On Stability In Afghanistan, Says Kyrgyz President

5

Russia-Afghanistan Trade Reaches $500 Million, Says Deputy PM Overchuk

•
•
•

More Stories

Pakistani Police Detained Nearly 800 Afghans, Claims Taliban

Dec 5, 2024, 16:40 GMT+0

The Taliban's Ministry of Refugees announced on Thursday that the Pakistani police have arrested nearly 800 Afghan refugees in recent days on charges of participating in Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) political demonstrations.

The Taliban has said that Afghans have not participated in the recent protests, but Pakistani police continue to harass Afghan refugees.

Earlier, Pakistani officials had said that Afghan refugees had participated in the PTI protests. Pakistan's Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi said at a news conference that 19 Afghan refugees had been arrested for attending demonstrations in Islamabad.

The Pakistani interior minister also said that from December this year, all Afghan refugees in Islamabad must have a residence permit in the capital or else they will be deported from Islamabad.

The Taliban's Ministry of Refugees has said that the number of detainees is about "800 people”.

The ministry said in a statement that no Afghans had participated in the demonstrations.

The Taliban has asked the Pakistani government not to use Afghan refugees politically.

Taliban Leader Calls For Cessation Of Activities Of Foreign Organisations At Cabinet Meet

Dec 5, 2024, 15:02 GMT+0

Sources told Afghanistan International that the Taliban leader Hibatullah Akhundzada labeled foreign organisations in Afghanistan as "spies" during a meeting in Kandahar and called for their closure.

According to sources, a number of members of the Taliban's cabinet opposed the request, and no final decision has been made on the matter yet.

The Taliban leader has summoned members of the group's cabinet to Kandahar for an emergency meeting.

According to information received by Afghanistan International, Hibatullah Akhundzada expressed concern about the activities of foreign organisations in Afghanistan, in addition to various issues.

The Taliban leader has claimed that foreign organisations in Afghanistan are doing "intelligence work" and should be shut down.

Sources said that members of the Taliban's cabinet have opposed Hibatullah Akhundzada's request, saying that it is "not possible to make a decision in one day”.

Members of the Taliban's cabinet have said that the group's intelligence agency is currently active and will take action in case of any observation of espionage activity by foreign organisations.

In addition, the Taliban's cabinet has argued that the closure of foreign organisations will increase the distance between the international community and the group.

‘Deepening Divisions Within Taliban’

Sources told Afghanistan International that Mullah Hibatullah's recent order to close medical institutions for girls has exacerbated divisions within the group.

According to information received by Afghanistan International, a number of members of the Taliban's cabinet have opposed Mullah Hibatullah's decision.

According to our source, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the Taliban's deputy prime minister for economic affairs, is among those who are unhappy with Mullah Hibatullah's recent decision. In this regard, Mullah Hibatullah had summoned the cabinet members to Kandahar to gain their support.

Another source told Afghanistan International that Mullah Hibatullah had consulted with the ministers of higher education before issuing the decree on the closure of medical institutions for girls.

The Taliban's spokesman confirmed that the Kandahar meeting was held in the presence of the group's leader. The Taliban has not officially commented on the details of the meeting so far.

Women & Girls Protest In Front Of Taliban Governor's Office In Herat

Dec 5, 2024, 13:41 GMT+0

A number of women and girls protested in front of the Taliban governor's office in Herat on Thursday over the closure of medical institutes.

The protesters called for women's right to education and said that they wanted to make their voices heard. Videos provided to Afghanistan International show that dozens of women and girls participated in the protest.

After the Taliban's severe crackdown on women's protests, women once again took to the streets of Herat and emphasised on the provision of justice and women's right to education.

These women carried slogans calling for the reopening of educational centres for women and called on the international community and human rights institutions to pay attention to the restrictions and prohibitions imposed by the Taliban against women.

Sources told Afghanistan International that the Taliban tried to disrupt the protest, but the protesting women continued their demonstrations.

After the closure of medical education centres by the Taliban, girls in a number of provinces protested against the Taliban's move.

Meanwhile, sources in Takhar told Afghanistan International that the Taliban’s intelligence agency arrested a number of girls on Thursday for protesting.

The recent order of the Taliban leader to close medical training centres for women has also provoked widespread reactions from international organisations and women's rights activists.

They called this decision another step towards the elimination of women from society and called on the Taliban to provide the ground for women's education in accordance with international commitments.

Ban On Women’s Medical Education Endangers Afghanistan's Healthcare System, Says UNICEF

Dec 5, 2024, 12:22 GMT+0

UNICEF expressed concern regarding the Taliban's decision to ban women and girls from studying in medical fields.

The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) issued a statement warning that the Taliban's move would halt the education of thousands of women and disrupt their access to health services.

UNICEF on Thursday (December 5) expressed deep concern over the Taliban's decision and its far-reaching consequences, including worsening humanitarian crisis and increasing hardships for the Afghan people.

UNICEF said that it was confirming various reports about the closure of medical education facilities by the Taliban.

In the statement, UNICEF Executive Director Catherine Russell warned that the ban could lead to an immediate halt to medical education for thousands of women and severely disrupt women's and girls' access to health services.

She stressed that such a decision would have far-reaching consequences for women's rights and Afghanistan's public health.

Russell emphasised that without female providers, women are less likely to seek prenatal care during pregnancy and are less likely to deliver their babies safely in clinics. "In a country where women and children depend on female health professionals for critical care, cutting off the chain of healthcare endangers the future of lives," she said.

UNICEF has called for the decision to be reversed and for women to continue to have access to medical education. The organisation stressed that the full participation of male and female professionals is essential for the future of Afghanistan's health system.

The UNICEF statement said that Afghanistan is currently facing a severe shortage of trained health workers, especially women. The organisation said that women's health professionals play a vital role in ensuring that children receive adequate maternal care, that children are vaccinated and that communities have access to essential health services.

The Taliban has imposed severe restrictions on women over the past three years. The group has closed girls' schools above the sixth grade and banned girls from going to university. Also, the Taliban has banned women from going to parks, restaurants, traveling, sports, and working in non-governmental organisations.

The Taliban's recent decision to ban the education of women and girls in medical fields has sparked widespread reactions.

Human rights organisations and women's rights advocates have condemned the Taliban's move and called on the group to provide education for women and girls.

The Taliban has not yet provided an official explanation for the closure of medical institutions to girls.

Taliban’s Intelligence Agency In Takhar Arrests Medical Institute Students For Protesting

Dec 5, 2024, 11:11 GMT+0

Taliban’s Intelligence Agency In Takhar Arrests Medical Institute Students For Protesting

According to sources, the Taliban's intelligence agency is still seeking to arrest protesting students in Takhar.

The Taliban’s intelligence agency entered the Takhar Institute on Thursday and detained a number of girls, sources said.

A source said that the Taliban arrested three female students and released them after a few hours.

The Taliban's intelligence agency has warned students to refrain from any protest and to stop publishing pictures and videos of their protests.

One student said that the Taliban’s intelligence agency officials told them that protesting "harms the honour and dignity of women".

Over the past two days, a number of female students of medical institutes in Takhar and a number of provinces have protested against the closure of these educational centres by the Taliban.

One of the protesting girls in Takhar told Afghanistan International, "Today, the lives of all female students are in danger." She said that the Taliban’s intelligence agency is searching every lane to arrest these protesting students. Regarding the reason for the girls' arrest, she said, "We raised our voices yesterday, but today two of our colleagues were arrested by the Taliban's intelligence agency."