• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Afghan TV Channels Go Offline After Nationwide Internet Shutdown

Sep 29, 2025, 17:15 GMT+1

Online broadcasts of most Afghan television stations have gone dark following a nationwide shutdown of internet and telecommunications services, Afghanistan International has learned.

Networks including TOLO, Lemar, TOLOnews, Shamshad, Tamadon and several provincial stations previously streamed programming online, but most have now gone offline. Taliban-controlled outlets such as Radio Television Afghanistan (RTA), Maarif and RTA Sport remain accessible.

TOLOnews earlier warned that the blackout would disrupt broadcasts from the Moby Group, which runs TOLOnews, TOLO, Lemar, Arman and Arakozia.

The suspension of internet and telecom services stems from a decision by the Taliban-run Afghanistan Telecommunications Regulatory Authority and the Ministry of Communications and IT. Sources told Afghanistan International that major providers including Roshan, Etisalat, Afghan Wireless and Afghan Telecom were ordered to halt all fibre-optic operations.

Technical experts said disabling the fibre-optic network has shut down telecom towers nationwide, effectively cutting Afghanistan off from global communications.

Some sources said limited services might eventually be restored, but high-speed internet and fibre-optic connections have been fully suspended under orders from the Taliban’s supreme leader.

Most Viewed

Taliban Minister Meets Shia Figures, Says All Sects Are Respected
1

Taliban Minister Meets Shia Figures, Says All Sects Are Respected

2

Gold Mine Tensions Escalate As Taliban Arrest Commanders’ Relatives

3

Central Asian Security Hinges On Stability In Afghanistan, Says Kyrgyz President

4

Iran Plans To Broaden Energy & Water Cooperation With Taliban

5

Russia-Afghanistan Trade Reaches $500 Million, Says Deputy PM Overchuk

•
•
•

More Stories

Afghanistan Plunged Into Blackout After Nationwide Telecom, Internet Shutdown

Sep 29, 2025, 16:11 GMT+1

Afghanistan was cut off from the global communications network on Sunday night after all fibre-optic internet services and telecommunications systems across the country were abruptly shut down.

The blackout left citizens without internet access or the ability to make phone calls nationwide.

Internet providers including Roshan, Etisalat, Afghan Wireless and Afghan Telecom had earlier warned customers that services would be “temporarily” suspended on orders from government authorities. A Taliban official confirmed that the directive came from the Afghanistan Telecom Regulatory Authority (ATRA) and the Ministry of Telecommunications.

The decision has effectively severed Afghanistan’s connection with the outside world, preventing people abroad from contacting those inside the country.

A source told Afghanistan International that a meeting between ATRA officials and service providers earlier in the day had been tense. According to the source, the Ministry of Telecommunications was angered by Taliban leader Hibatullah Akhundzada’s order but was instructed to enforce the nationwide cutoff “unilaterally.” Officials reportedly hope that the scale of the shutdown, and the public and international backlash, might prompt the Taliban leadership to reconsider.

A telecommunications technician explained that ordinary phone services collapsed because mobile towers rely on fibre-optic infrastructure. With those lines disabled, Afghans have been left without any form of communication.

Taliban Orders Nationwide Shutdown Of Fibre-Optic Internet In Afghanistan

Sep 29, 2025, 15:28 GMT+1

The Taliban have ordered the shutdown of fibre-optic internet across Afghanistan on the instructions of the group’s supreme leader, Hibatullah Akhundzada, according to telecom industry sources.

Sources told Afghanistan International that the Taliban-run Afghanistan Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (ATRA) met with fibre-optic providers on 29 September and conveyed Akhundzada’s verbal directive. Providers were instructed to disconnect services in all provinces, including Kabul, until further notice.

“When company officials asked ATRA representatives what authority this action was based on, they were told it was a verbal order from Hibatullah and must be implemented,” one participant said.

Industry officials warned that a nationwide shutdown would not only disrupt household and business users but also paralyse critical services. Banks, customs offices and government institutions depend on point-to-point fibre connections, while telecom operators would face severe disruptions.

Taliban officials have not commented publicly on the move.

Earlier, a delegation from the Ministry of Economy, the Ministry of Finance and the Taliban Central Bank travelled to Kandahar to appeal against the decision, arguing that all operations of their institutions relied on internet connectivity.

According to sources, Akhundzada dismissed the concerns, saying the measure would be implemented gradually. He reportedly told the delegation: “During Mullah Omar’s rule, there was no internet, yet affairs progressed smoothly. Therefore, alternative methods must now be found.”

Afghan Consulate Staff In Bonn Resign Over Germany’s Move To Accept Taliban Envoys

Sep 29, 2025, 13:24 GMT+1

The acting head and staff of Afghanistan’s consulate in Bonn have resigned in protest at Germany’s decision to accredit Taliban diplomats and hand the mission to the group.

In a statement, the consulate team said their decision was driven by Berlin’s move to send two Taliban representatives to the mission.

Hamid Nangialay Kabiri, the acting head of the consulate, said in a video message that all staff had stepped down, citing opposition to what he called the transfer of Afghan citizens’ documents to an “illegitimate group.”

Kabiri said all documents and assets of the consulate would be handed to the German Foreign Ministry. He added that one Taliban envoy was expected to be assigned to the post.

The resigning staff said the decision undermines human rights, women’s and children’s access to education, and basic freedoms, and therefore lacks legitimacy. They expressed hope that Afghanistan would one day establish a government based on the will of its people.

Lasting Afghan Stability Hinges On Inclusive Government, Says Former Afghan MP

Sep 29, 2025, 12:00 GMT+1

Fawzia Koofi, a former Afghan lawmaker, said lasting peace and stability in Afghanistan and the wider region can only be achieved through the formation of an inclusive government.

Koofi, attending a two-day conference of Afghan political groups in Islamabad, described conditions in Afghanistan, particularly for women, as “unbearable.” She said the country needs meaningful leadership, inclusive narratives and a political system that respects the rights of all citizens.

“This two-day dialogue brings together a diverse group of men and women from Afghanistan to reflect on their country’s future,” she wrote on the X platform.

Koofi said Pakistan’s role in the process was “pivotal” and argued that constructive engagement is essential to addressing shared concerns and building mutual trust. She stressed that only a government based on the people’s will and constitutional order can guarantee security and regional stability.

The gathering, titled “Toward Unity and Trust,” opened on Monday after being postponed three times. It was organised by Women for Afghanistan and the Institute for South Asian Strategic Stability to foster dialogue between Afghan leaders and their Pakistani counterparts.

Taliban Official Expresses Optimism Over Expanding US Relations

Sep 29, 2025, 10:19 GMT+1

A senior Taliban Foreign Ministry official voiced optimism about expanding relations with the United States after an American delegation visited Kabul.

Zakir Jalali said on the X platform that recent high-level meetings and the release of American prisoners could pave the way for broader engagement between the Taliban and Washington.

He said relations should be based on “mutual respect and common interests” and noted that both sides had reached an understanding on addressing prisoner issues, with further discussions expected on other matters.

Jalali added that recognising the “realities and sensitivities” of each side could help shape the next stage of engagement.

Adam Boehler, President Donald Trump’s envoy for hostage affairs, arrived in Kabul on an unannounced trip, which his third visit in recent months.

Following the delegation’s visit, the Taliban Foreign Ministry announced Sunday that it had released an American citizen, identified as Amir Amiri. Sources told Afghanistan International that at least three other US nationals remain in Taliban custody.