• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Taliban To End Customs Processing Of Medicine Imports From Pakistan In Three Months

Nov 13, 2025, 15:21 GMT+0

The Taliban’s Finance Ministry said it will stop processing customs duties on medicines imported from Pakistan after the next three months, following an order from the group's deputy prime minister.

The announcement came a day after Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the deputy prime minister for economic affairs told medicine importers to settle all commercial dealings with Pakistan within that period and to use alternative routes for imports.

In a statement issued Thursday, the ministry said the decision was intended to prevent the import of low-quality medicines and that, after the three-month deadline, “medicines imported from Pakistan will not be processed for customs duties.”

The ministry said it planned to provide additional facilities for importing higher-quality medicines through alternative routes.

Baradar told Afghan traders and industrialists on Wednesday that they must settle their accounts with Pakistan within three months. He added that, because of what he described as the poor quality of Pakistani imports, exports and imports “should be carried out through alternative routes.”

With rising tensions along the border, Pakistan has closed all crossings with Afghanistan. Baradar told Afghan traders that Pakistan had previously closed trade routes, particularly during the fruit season, and said that if Pakistan wished to reopen the crossings now, it would need to provide guarantees ensuring the routes would not be shut again. He emphasised that Afghanistan’s exports and imports “must be conducted through alternative routes.”

Economic analysts say Afghanistan is able to conduct trade independently through other corridors in line with international law.

Anwar ul-Haq Ahadi, a former Afghan finance minister, told Afghanistan International that Afghanistan could use the Iran route and the Lapis Lazuli Corridor as long-term alternatives for exports and imports.

Another former finance minister, Hazrat Omar Zakhilwal, said transit for a landlocked country was “neither a gift nor a privilege,” but a legal right under international law and bilateral agreements. He said no country could revoke another’s transit access because of political tensions or disputes.

Most Viewed

Policy Towards Taliban Will Remain Unchanged, Says Pakistan
1

Policy Towards Taliban Will Remain Unchanged, Says Pakistan

2

EU Invitation To Taliban Sparks Political Backlash And Criticism

3

Afghans Ignore Pakistan’s Decades Of Hospitality, Says Balochistan Chief Minister

4

Pakistan Strike On Kabul Hospital Must Be Investigated, Says UN Rapporteur

5

India Sends 20 Tones Of Vaccine Supplies To Afghanistan

•
•
•

More Stories

Suicide Bombers In Islamabad & Waziristan Were Afghan Nationals, Says Pak Minister

Nov 13, 2025, 13:53 GMT+0

Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi said both the suicide attacks in South Waziristan and Islamabad had been carried out by Afghan nationals. Naqvi said on Thursday that it had been confirmed the attackers had come from Afghanistan and had carried out the assaults.

He had earlier said the militants involved in the attack on the Wana Military College had been in contact with their organisers in Afghanistan.

The interior minister did not provide further details about the identities of those involved in the recent suicide bombings.

On Monday, militants attacked the Wana Military College in South Waziristan, resulting in at least three deaths.

On Tuesday, a suicide bombing near the Islamabad Judicial Complex killed at least 12 people and wounded 27 others. Jamaat-ul-Ahrar, a splinter faction of Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), claimed responsibility for that attack.

Although no group has claimed responsibility for the Wana attack, Pakistan’s army attributed it to TTP.

The Rawalpindi Counter Terrorism Department on Thursday arrested seven suspects who officials said had facilitated the suicide bombing at the Islamabad Judicial Complex.

A day after the attack in Islamabad, Pakistan’s prime minister told Parliament that India and the Afghan Taliban had been involved in the terrorist attack in Pakistan.

Defence Minister Khawaja Asif also warned that Pakistan might take military action inside Afghanistan. He rejected the Afghan Taliban’s condemnation of the attack, describing it as not genuine.

Asif said Pakistan would present evidence of Afghan Taliban involvement in recent incidents to mediating countries such as Qatar and Turkiye.

In an interview with Geo News, he said Pakistan would not leave what he called aggression unanswered and would deliver a decisive response.

Pakistan Prepared For Two-Front War With India & Afghanistan, Says Khawaja Asif

Nov 13, 2025, 12:02 GMT+0

Pakistan’s Defence Minister Khawaja Asif said the country was prepared to confront what he described as a two-front war involving India and the Afghan Taliban, following a suicide attack in Islamabad that left 12 people dead.

Asif said Pakistan was ready and equipped to face challenges on both its eastern border with India and its western border with Afghanistan. He told the television channel Hum News that he viewed the Afghan Taliban as acting as a proxy force for India.

He said Pakistan had defeated India in the first round of conflict and believed it would do so again, adding that the country had no choice but to fight on both fronts.

When asked whether this situation would make Pakistan’s borders more vulnerable referencing a comment by India’s National Security Adviser Ajit Doval, who had said Delhi should engage Pakistan through proxies, Asif responded that Pakistan was indeed facing a two-front threat from India and Afghanistan and reiterated his claim that Afghanistan was acting on India’s behalf.

The minister said Pakistan was ready to face both borders and believed divine support had helped the country previously and would do so again.

He said he supported negotiations with the Taliban and backed dialogue, but argued that talks required sincerity and genuine intent. He said this did not mean Pakistan would accept being pushed to the outskirts of Islamabad and then be asked to negotiate under such circumstances.

After the suicide attack in Islamabad, Asif said hope for successful negotiations with the Taliban was misplaced, given the environment. He said the authorities in Kabul were capable of preventing attacks in Pakistan and argued that bringing the conflict to Islamabad amounted to a message from Kabul, one that he believed Pakistan was capable of answering.

Three rounds of talks between Pakistan and the Taliban have taken place in recent weeks. The first round in Doha resulted in agreement on a temporary ceasefire, while the second and third rounds in Istanbul ended without progress.

Pakistan accuses the Afghan Taliban of harbouring Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and allowing the group to launch attacks from Afghan territory. The Taliban denies the allegation.

Putin Welcomes Formation Of UN Regional Centre For Afghanistan In Kazakhstan

Nov 13, 2025, 11:17 GMT+0

Russian President Vladimir Putin has endorsed the establishment of a United Nations regional centre for Central Asia and Afghanistan in Kazakhstan, according to a new comprehensive strategic partnership agreement signed with Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev at the Kremlin.

The agreement, signed on Wednesday outlines expanded cooperation between the two countries. Article 10 of the document, published on the Kremlin’s website, said both sides welcomed the creation of the UN Regional Centre for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Kazakhstan, viewing it as a promising platform for advancing long-term, mutually beneficial regional development projects.

Tokayev announced earlier this year that the SDG centre had opened in Almaty with the support of the UN Secretary-General and partner countries.

UN Secretary-General António Guterres travelled to Kazakhstan, where he signed an agreement with Kazakh officials finalising the centre’s establishment. The United Nations confirmed the centre’s opening shortly afterwards.

During the ceremony, Tokayev said Kazakhstan remained committed to supporting the people of Afghanistan through humanitarian assistance, educational initiatives, trade development and food-security programmes.

Guterres said at the centre’s launch that Afghanistan formed an integral part of the future of Central Asia.

Australia May Impose New Sanctions On Taliban Leaders, Says Human Rights Watch

Nov 13, 2025, 08:50 GMT+0

Human Rights Watch (HRW) said Australia’s proposed amendments to its Autonomous Sanctions regulations could enable the government to impose targeted sanctions and travel bans on senior Taliban figures.

HRW added that the sanctions could be imposed others involved in serious human rights abuses in Afghanistan.

In a statement, the organisation described the reforms as an important step toward ensuring accountability for Taliban officials and other individuals implicated in rights violations.

The Australian government announced on 30 October that it had completed consultations on the proposed changes, which are intended to introduce new criteria for creating an Afghanistan-specific sanctions list. The amendments also outline an arms embargo on Afghanistan and a ban on providing weapons-related services to the country.

HRW said the proposed changes would allow Australia to sanction individuals and entities responsible for, complicit in, or involved in the repression of women, girls and minorities, as well as broader forms of political and social repression. The amendments would also permit sanctions against anyone deemed to be undermining governance and the rule of law in Afghanistan.

Daniela Gavshon, HRW’s Australia director, said it was important for the Australian government to act against Taliban leaders believed to be responsible for severe restrictions on women and girls and other grave abuses. She said the revised sanctions framework would allow Australia to align with countries that have already taken steps to confront what HRW described as the Taliban’s widespread and systematic repression.

HRW reiterated that the Taliban intensified their restrictions on women and girls after returning to power in August 2021. UN experts have assessed that these actions amount to crimes against humanity in the form of gender persecution.

The organisation also cited the shrinking civic space under Taliban rule, including extensive censorship and the arrest and torture of activists and journalists.

HRW added that LGBTQ+ people and other minorities in Afghanistan face dire conditions and serious threats under Taliban rule. It said hundreds of Shia Hazara civilians and other Afghans have been killed or wounded in attacks carried out by Islamic State–affiliated groups.

Taliban Deputy PM Urges Afghan Traders To Shift Away From Pak, Seek Alternative Routes

Nov 12, 2025, 16:30 GMT+0

Taliban Deputy Prime Minister for Economic Affairs Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar has urged Afghan traders and industrialists to seek alternative trade routes and reduce their reliance on Pakistan.

Baradar’s stance comes following the continued closure of border crossings between the two countries.

“The closure of Pakistan’s crossings has not only hurt our traders but also disrupted markets and affected ordinary people,” Baradar said Wednesday during a press conference at the Taliban’s presidential palace.

Baradar said one of Afghanistan’s key economic challenges is the annual import of hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of low-quality medicines from Pakistan. He called on pharmaceutical importers to “immediately find other countries and routes” for sourcing medicines.

The deputy prime minister gave Afghan traders who have existing contracts or purchases in Pakistan a three-month deadline to settle their accounts and end all imports from the country. He instructed the Ministry of Finance to halt the processing of medicine imports from Pakistan once the deadline expires.

Baradar warned that traders who continue to import or export goods through Pakistan after the deadline will do so at their own risk. “If they face problems, the Taliban administration will not intervene,” he said.

He repeated his call for Afghan businesses to adopt alternative export and import routes “as quickly as possible.”

Baradar said the Taliban made the decision in response to Pakistan’s continued closure of trade and transit routes, which, according to him, has caused losses of more than $122 million in just three weeks. He accused Pakistan of using trade, transit and humanitarian channels “to pursue political objectives.”

Addressing officials from the ministries of finance, industry and commerce, as well as business leaders, Baradar said the Taliban administration had been “forced to take this step” in reaction to Pakistan’s actions.

He added that border crossings would reopen only if Pakistan provided “strong and credible guarantees” to ensure that such closures would not happen again under any circumstances.