• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

India Jails Man For Seven Years Over Taliban Recruitment

May 20, 2026, 11:45 GMT+1

India's National Investigation Agency has announced that its special court in Bengaluru has sentenced a man to seven years' rigorous imprisonment in a case involving radicalisation and recruitment for the Taliban and Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan.

The court also fined him 63,000 rupees.

India's National Investigation Agency said that the trial began in March 2026 and that the man confessed to his crime during the judicial proceedings.

According to the investigating agency, the individual, named Hamraz Al-Rashid Sheikh, became drawn to the ideology of the Taliban and Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan through Pakistani and Afghan contacts while residing in Saudi Arabia between 2019 and 2022.

India's National Investigation Agency said that, after returning to India, the individual, along with another person, was attempting to identify and recruit vulnerable young people by promoting the ideology of these groups.

According to India's National Investigation Agency, both defendants had intended to travel to Afghanistan in order to join Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

Most Viewed

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC
1

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC

2

UK Envoy Discusses Women’s Participation In Afghanistan With Taliban Ambassador

3

Explosion Hits Taliban Recruitment Centre In Ghor, Says Anti-Taliban Group

4

Pakistani Defence Minister Warns Taliban Against Ties With Pakistan’s Enemies

5

Taliban Restrict YouTubers And Video Content Creators In Kandahar

•
•
•

More Stories

Regional Security Blocs To Hold Talks On Afghanistan & Central Asia

May 20, 2026, 10:48 GMT+1

The Collective Security Treaty Organisation has announced that a joint meeting with the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation and the Commonwealth of Independent States will be held on Central Asian security and the situation in Afghanistan.

CSTO Secretary-General Taalatbek Masadykov said the joint meeting would take place in the second half of this year.

Russia's TASS news agency reported on Tuesday May 19, citing Masadykov, that the three organisations regularly hold high-level meetings, and that the main focus of the upcoming meeting will be examining regional security developments and the situation in Afghanistan.

The meeting will be held with the participation of senior officials from the three regional structures, with the aim of greater coordination in addressing shared security challenges. The CSTO Secretary-General added that such contacts would continue on an annual basis.

He said the organisation intends to establish engagement with bodies such as ASEAN and the African Union as well. These steps are being taken within the framework of strengthening international cooperation to counter trans-regional threats.

Masadykov made these remarks on the sidelines of a CSTO meeting titled "Together for Strengthening International Peace and Stability". The event was held at the premises of the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe in Vienna.

The CSTO says that, at the Vienna meeting, the importance of continuous monitoring of the situation in Afghanistan was emphasised.

The CSTO Secretary-General had previously met, on April 25, with Sergei Shoigu, Secretary of the Russian Security Council, to discuss upcoming plans.

The Secretary of the Russian Security Council had previously stated that between 18,000 and 23,000 militants are currently operating in Afghanistan. He stressed that paying attention to the situation in Afghanistan is of particular importance to the member states of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation.

The Collective Security Treaty Organisation (comprising Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Armenia), the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (with the participation of China, Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India, Pakistan, and Iran), and the Commonwealth of Independent States (comprising Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, and Armenia) are considered key pillars of the region's security and political structures.

In recent years, these three organisations have repeatedly stressed the need for a joint response to threats emanating from Afghan soil, including terrorism, drug trafficking, and border instability.

No One Can Take Over Mines In Badakhshan, Says New Taliban Mining Chief

May 20, 2026, 09:42 GMT+1

Abdul Matin Rahimzai, Badakhshan's new director of mines, has warned that no one is any longer permitted to extract minerals from the province without authorisation. He also threatened local armed groups with severe punishment if they intervene in mining.

Rahimzai acknowledged that irresponsible armed individuals in various districts of Badakhshan have "seized" the mines, and that such actions will no longer be tolerated. He stressed that those involved in illegal mining will face serious consequences.

Speaking on Tuesday in a mosque in Shiki district of Badakhshan, in the presence of local residents, this Taliban official said that, under the division of responsibilities among government institutions, nobody has the right to interfere in mining affairs.

Following heightened tensions between local residents and Taliban forces over mining in Badakhshan, the Taliban administration dismissed the province's former head of mines and appointed Abdul Matin Rahimzai to the post from Kabul.

In his remarks, Rahimzai said: "If anyone abuses their duty, position, or responsibility, they will face severe punishment."

He added: "Those who suck the blood of the people do not have even a minute to spare and will face the consequences of their actions. From now on, no one will be allowed to squander public funds."

Local sources say that the former head of Badakhshan's mining department had previously been dismissed and Rahimzai was appointed in his place.

Reports indicate that Shafiqullah Hafizi, the dismissed head of mines in Badakhshan, was a close associate of Qari Fasihuddin Fitrat, the Taliban's army chief of staff and a resident of Yaftal district in the province.

Local sources also say that Rahimzai is from Logar province and is one of the ethnic Pashtun figures within the Taliban's structure.

Since the Taliban's takeover of Afghanistan, mining in Badakhshan has increased to an unprecedented scale. Thousands of people are engaged in unauthorised mining and, according to local sources, a considerable portion of this activity is carried out under the control of individuals affiliated with the Taliban.

In some cases, reports have also emerged of clashes between different Taliban factions over control of the mines.

Operations Against Afghan Taliban Will Continue, Says Pakistan PM

May 20, 2026, 08:50 GMT+1

Shehbaz Sharif, Pakistan's Prime Minister, said during a visit to Quetta, the capital of Balochistan, that Operation "Ghazab-Lil-Haq" against the Afghan Taliban is continuing with full resolve to protect Pakistani citizens and target militant sanctuaries.

The Pakistani Prime Minister, speaking on Tuesday at a military college in Quetta, said the operation would continue against terrorist proxy groups based in Afghanistan and affiliated with the Taliban.

Following the intensification of border clashes between the Taliban and Pakistan, the Pakistani military launched Operation "Ghazab-Lil-Haq" against the Afghan Taliban. It had previously launched a similar operation under the name "Azm-e-Istehkam" against Baloch militants and Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan.

Pakistan claims that more than 700 Taliban fighters have been killed during Operation "Ghazab-Lil-Haq". The Taliban reject this figure.

During his visit to Quetta, Shehbaz Sharif praised the professionalism, operational readiness, and sacrifice of Pakistan's armed forces, saying they play a vital role in safeguarding national sovereignty, peace, and stability.

He also paid tribute to the fallen members of his country's armed forces and stressed the army's commitment to defending Pakistan.

Tensions between Pakistan and the Taliban have risen to an unprecedented level in recent months, and there is no clear indication of any improvement in relations between the two sides.

Islamabad accuses the Taliban of allowing armed groups opposed to Pakistan to operate from Afghan soil and to organise their attacks from there, an allegation that the Taliban have consistently rejected.

Following direct clashes at the border, the two sides have twice agreed on a ceasefire, but these agreements have failed to bring about a lasting reduction in tensions. Furthermore, four rounds of talks between representatives of Pakistan and the Taliban, in Qatar, Turkiye, Saudi Arabia, and the Chinese city of Urumqi, have ended without any outcome.

Pakistan has stressed that military operations will continue, and that the Taliban must provide verifiable guarantees that attacks against Pakistan will not be launched again from Afghan soil.

Meanwhile, reports indicate an increase in attacks in recent days in the province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

The Taliban, however, have once again rejected these accusations, stating that they do not permit the use of Afghan soil against other countries.

Explosion Hits Taliban Recruitment Centre In Ghor, Says Anti-Taliban Group

May 19, 2026, 17:13 GMT+1

Afghanistan Green Trend says it attacked a Taliban military recruitment centre in Firozkoh, the capital of Ghor Province, on Monday, May 18, using explosives planted inside the facility.

The group released a video claiming responsibility for the attack.

In a statement attributed to Afghanistan Green Trend, the group said: “Green Unit guerrillas skilfully planted explosive materials inside the Taliban army recruitment command in Firozkoh city, Ghor province, which were later detonated.”

At least three local sources also confirmed that an explosion occurred in Firozkoh and told Afghanistan International that the blast was heard across the city.

However, the sources did not provide details about possible casualties or damage.

Afghanistan Green Trend said the exact number of Taliban casualties and the extent of the damage remain unclear but stressed that its attacks would continue “until Afghanistan is liberated”.

This is the second time Afghanistan Green Trend, led by Amrullah Saleh, former vice president of Afghanistan, has independently claimed responsibility for an attack against the Taliban through its official channels, separate from the National Resistance Front of Afghanistan led by Ahmad Massoud.

The group had previously claimed responsibility for an attack on Taliban patrol forces in Mazar-i-Sharif on April 21.

Amrullah Saleh joined the National Resistance Front in Panjshir after the fall of the Afghan republic in 2021.

A Taliban official, responding to questions from Afghanistan International, denied that the attack had taken place.

Taliban Restrict YouTubers And Video Content Creators In Kandahar

May 19, 2026, 16:00 GMT+1

Local sources in Kandahar say the Taliban have again imposed restrictions on YouTubers and video content creators, summoning several creators and banning them from producing and publishing videos.

Sources in Kandahar say Taliban officials from the Ministry for the Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice warned YouTubers and social media activists against publishing video content on social media platforms.

One YouTuber in Kandahar said: “We made videos about the city, historical sites, markets, traditions and people’s lives to show the world that Afghanistan is not only war.”

He added that some of his productions also raised awareness about harmful social customs, drug abuse, illiteracy and other major social issues.

Several other YouTubers said their videos had received thousands and even millions of views and had played an important role in presenting Afghan culture and daily life.

According to them, YouTube had also become a source of income for many young people.

One of the creators said: “We worked hard for years. YouTube was one of our main sources of income, but now that making videos has been banned, we are effectively unemployed.”

The young creators also pointed to rising unemployment in the country, saying the restrictions on video production currently appear to apply only in Kandahar province.

Under the Taliban’s morality law, publishing images of “living beings” is prohibited.

As part of enforcing the law, the Taliban have suspended the activities of state television and several local media outlets in multiple provinces.

International organisations have repeatedly condemned the Taliban’s ban on publishing images of living beings and called on the group to revise the policy and respect freedom of expression in Afghanistan.