At least 21 people have been killed and 23 others got wounded as the result of an explosion in a mosque in District 17 of Kabul on Wednesday night, said Khalid Zadran, Taliban’s spokesperson for Kabul police command.
Earlier, Al-Jazeera had reported that 20 people had been killed and 40 others got wounded.
Sources said that the attack on Sediqiya mosque in Khairkhana area had been caused by planted explosives.
Meanwhile, Emergency Hospital in Kabul said that 27 injured had arrived at the hospital following the explosion, of which five were children. The hospital confirmed the death of three people to AFP.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack yet.
Despite the Taliban’s claim of providing security across the country, Afghanistan has witnessed regular attacks by armed groups. In recent months, Islamic State- Khurasan (IS-K) has taken responsibility of most attacks on civilians.
Taliban, Hamid Karzai, the former president, and Abdullah Abdullah, former chairman of the High Council for National Reconciliation condemned the attack.
Despite an increase in explosive and suicide attacks, Mohammad Khalid Hanafi, Taliban’s minister of promotion of virtues and prevention of vice in the group’s meeting in Kandahar said that after Taliban’s takeover, security situation has improved in Afghanistan, administrative corruption has ended and the economy is getting better. Bakhtar News Agency reported that he said, “After faith, security is very important”.