• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Afghan Women Immigrants Allege Sexual Harassment at Iranian Detention Centers

Dec 30, 2022, 10:58 GMT+0

Afghan women immigrants have claimed that during their detention in Iran, interrogators had tortured and sexually harassed them. These immigrant women had been detained and deported from Iran for participating in a peaceful gathering against the Hazara genocide in Afghanistan.

The gathering had been held after Kaaj, an educational center in Kabul, had been targeted by suicide attackers.

Iranian security forces had attacked the gathering held in Iran and detained a number of Afghan citizens.

Following the detention, 10 Afghan men and women and four children had been deported to Afghanistan.

After leaving Iran, deported Afghan citizens have informed how the security agents of Iran had tortured and insulted them in order to obtain a forced confession.

One of the detainees said that she was pregnant while being detained, but she had a miscarriage to fear and torture. She said that one of the male interrogators had been touching her inappropriately and forced her to sign papers.

Another Afghan citizen also said that the interrogators tried to force him to confess that he had connections with the leaders of the protests in Iran, using obscenities and insults.

He said that even though this gathering had been focused on the genocide of the Hazaras in Afghanistan, the interrogators told him that Afghan people in Iran have no right to any gathering or protest.

Another woman, who was among the detainees said that the interrogators insulted and sexually harassed her to such an extent that she was willing to sign "anything" to get out of the interrogation room.

These statements are made while in Iran, extensive reports have been published about the torture and sexual harassment of detained female protesters.

Most Viewed

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC
1

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC

2

UK Envoy Discusses Women’s Participation In Afghanistan With Taliban Ambassador

3

Pakistani Defence Minister Warns Taliban Against Ties With Pakistan’s Enemies

4

Explosion Hits Taliban Recruitment Centre In Ghor, Says Anti-Taliban Group

5

India Tightens Citizenship Rules For Afghan Migrants

•
•
•

More Stories

UNICEF Closed Educational Centers In Kandahar, Say Sources

Dec 29, 2022, 14:57 GMT+0

Sources said that the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) has closed the organisation’s schools in Kandahar. According to the sources, on Wednesday local UNICEF officials notified teachers and students about the schools’ closure.

The sources told Afghanistan International that UNICEF has nearly 1,600 educational classes in Kandahar city and the province’s districts, which provide education to about 50,000 boys and girls.

In recent days, several educational centers, and teachers in different cities of Afghanistan said that the Taliban has ordered girls not to participate in classes.

On the other hand, the Taliban recently announced that women are not allowed to work in non-governmental organisations.

Following the Taliban’s orders and the ban on girls’ education and women’s work, several international aid agencies also announced that they have stopped their humanitarian operations in Afghanistan.

UNICEF's local office in Kandahar and its headquarters in Kabul have not reacted to the closure of educational centers in Kandahar.

Sources said that UNICEF has closed these educational centers in response to the Taliban's decision to ban women from working in non-governmental institutions. Sources said that most of the teachers at these educational centers in Kandahar have been women.

China Ready To Invest In Coal-Fired Power Project in Afghanistan, Says Taliban

Dec 29, 2022, 13:22 GMT+0

The Chinese Chamber of Commerce announced its readiness to invest in a 500 MW coal-fired power generation project in Afghanistan. The issue has been discussed between a Chinese delegation and the Taliban’s Chief Executive of Da Afghanistan Bershna Sherkat (DABS).

Mohammad Hanif Hamza, the Taliban’s Chief Executive of DABS, said that a joint technical committee from the two sides will assess the project.

DABS in a statement on Thursday announced that after the discussion of the joint technical team, the Taliban leaders will decide on the matter.

Representatives of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce have said that they have worked on coal-fired power projects in 11 countries and are ready to install coal-fired power generation systems in every province of Afghanistan.

After taking control of Afghanistan in 2021, the Taliban has focused on extracting Afghanistan's mines, including the coal mines. China is one of the countries which had previously won a major copper mining contract, but even after several years, it has not yet started extraction of the mining field in Afghanistan.

Terrorism & Drug Trade in Afghanistan A Threat to Regional Countries, Says Iranian FM

Dec 29, 2022, 11:31 GMT+0

Hossein Amir Abdollahian, Iranian foreign minister said that terrorism and drug production in Afghanistan is a common threat to Iran and the region. Abdollahian made the statement on Wednesday during a meeting with Badr Bin Hamad Al Busaidi, minister of foreign affairs of Oman.

According to Iranian media reports, Oman's foreign minister has stressed that his country is cooperating with Tehran in the fight against drug trafficking and other crimes.

Iran is among the countries which has good ties with the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Before their return to power in August 2021, the Taliban leaders had traveled to Tehran and held talks with Iranian officials.

After the Taliban’s takeover of Afghanistan, the Iranian embassy remained open in Kabul and the country maintained close ties with the Taliban.

Earlier, many countries in the region expressed concern about the increase in the activities of terrorist groups in Afghanistan.

Joint Statement Calls Taliban’s Ban on Working Women Reckless, Urges its Reversal

Dec 29, 2022, 09:18 GMT+0

In a joint statement, foreign ministers of 12 countries and representatives of the European Union (EU) said that Taliban’s ban on working women puts at risk millions of Afghans who depend on humanitarian assistance for their survival.

While calling the Taliban’s order reckless and dangerous, the statement urged the group to urgently reverse its decision of barring female employees of national and international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) from the workplace.

The statement had been issued by the Foreign Ministers of Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Norway, Switzerland, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and the United States and the High Representative of the European Union.

“Women are absolutely central to humanitarian and basic needs operations. Unless they participate in aid delivery in Afghanistan, NGOs will be unable to reach the country’s most vulnerable people to provide food, medicine, winterization, and other materials and services they need to live. This would also affect the humanitarian assistance provided by international organisations, as they utilise NGOs to deliver such materials and services,” the statement added.

The statement also noted that the Taliban seems disinterested in seeking normal relations with the international community as they continue to demonstrate their contempt for the rights, freedoms, and welfare of the Afghan people, particularly women and girls.

They urged the Taliban to respect the political, economic, social, and cultural rights of women and girls in Afghanistan and said that they stand in solidarity with the Afghan people’s calls for girls and women to return to work, school, and university, and for women to continue to play essential roles in humanitarian and basic needs assistance delivery.

The joint statement also said that the signatories are in discussion with the United Nations to avoid any disruption and allow the continuation of all humanitarian operations of international and national NGOs.

Taliban Publicly Flogs Seven People in Laghman and Parwan Provinces

Dec 28, 2022, 13:27 GMT+0

The Taliban’s Supreme Court announced on Wednesday that the group had flogged six people, including a woman, in Qarghaye district of Laghman province. The group has also flogged another man in Parwan province.

These people had been flogged on various charges.

The Taliban publicly flogged another six people in Mehtarlam city of Laghman province on Tuesday.

Earlier, the group had flogged 27 people, including nine women, in Parwan province too.

The Taliban’s flogging of Afghan citizens in public has been met with international condemnation. However, the group has called the international reactions in opposition to Islamic laws.