• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Taliban Executes Former Member of Afghan Security Forces, Says NRF

Jan 5, 2023, 14:02 GMT+0

The National Resistance Front (NRF) said that the Taliban has executed a former member of security forces in Baghlan province. NRF added that the mentioned person's name was Mohammad Hashem and he was a former Baghlan police officer.

According to the NRF, the police officer had a wife and four children. The Taliban have not reacted to the report so far.

In a video published on social media, it can be seen that the Taliban forces executed a person in public.

While the Taliban has announced a "general amnesty" in Afghanistan, in more than a year since the group has taken control of Afghanistan, the killing of civilians has been reported widely.

According to reports, on Wednesday, the Taliban killed Ibrahim Jihadyar, a former Afghan army official in Kabul, who had been detained for several months.

Most Viewed

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC
1

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC

2

Gold Mine Tensions Escalate As Taliban Arrest Commanders’ Relatives

3

UK Envoy Discusses Women’s Participation In Afghanistan With Taliban Ambassador

4

Pakistani Defence Minister Warns Taliban Against Ties With Pakistan’s Enemies

5

India Tightens Citizenship Rules For Afghan Migrants

•
•
•

More Stories

Taliban-Pakistan Military Forces Engage in Firefight at Torkham Border

Jan 5, 2023, 13:12 GMT+0

Sources confirmed a firefight on the Torkham border between Taliban and Pakistan military on Thursday. Pakistani officials said that the shelling was started by the Taliban forces, and as a result, an Afghan citizen had been killed and a Pakistani officer had been wounded.

Following this incident, the border has been closed, but the Taliban have not reacted to the reports so far.

The border clashes occur while the political tension between Pakistan and the Taliban has intensified in recent days.

Earlier, the Taliban forces and the Pakistani military had a military confrontation on the border of Torkham and Spin Boldak.

Taliban Signs Amended Oil Extraction Contract With Chinese Company in Afghanistan

Jan 5, 2023, 10:28 GMT+0

The Taliban’s Ministry of Mines and Petroleum announced that it has signed a contract for oil extraction from the Amu Darya basin with a Chinese company on Thursday. Taliban Minister of Mines, Shahabuddin Delawar, said that duration of the oil extraction contract is 25 years.

This is the second time that the Chinese company has signed this oil field contract with amendments and according to the Taliban, China will invest 150 million dollars in the first year of the project.

Delawar added that by signing this contract, the Chinese company "CPEIC" will invest 150 million dollars in the first year and 540 million dollars in three years in the exploration and extraction sector in 4,500 square kilometers located in the provinces of Sar-e-Pol, Faryab, and Jawzjan.

The oil capacity of this field is estimated to be around 87 million oil barrels.

The Taliban’s Minister of Mines also said that in three years, Afghanistan will export oil while meeting its domestic demands.

The Taliban official said that technical teams have reviewed the contract, which was signed in the past, for eight months, and as a result, it was amended and signed again.

Delawar did not provide details about the amendments, but said that one of the added items is that the company must hire workers from inside Afghanistan.

According to the Taliban official, the project will add 3,000 jobs in Afghanistan.

The "exploration and extraction" contract of the Amu Darya oil field had been signed with the Chinese company in 2011 during the presidency of Hamid Karzai.

Taliban Jeopardises Future of Afghanistan With Regressive Policies on Women, Says Shorter

Jan 4, 2023, 15:58 GMT+0

Hugo Shorter, the Chargé d'Affaires of the UK Embassy, said that the Taliban is jeopardising the future of Afghanistan by denying the right to education and work for Afghan women and girls. Shorter said that Taliban have a collective responsibility to reverse their decision.

“It is a tragedy for Afghanistan - as the only country in the world to ban women and girls from secondary and higher education and from most government jobs - that the Taliban have now banned women from working for NGOs too," Shorter said in a Tweet.

The British diplomat said that in their reactions, some of the Taliban said that the international community is hypocritical in its response to attacks on women’s rights and that this is an internal Afghan matter, but he emphasised that more need to be done globally to protect women’s rights.

According to Shorter, from equality of pay to eliminating gender-based violence and harassment of women, the UK works to address these issues through its laws, courts, social services, police, and with international partners.

Shorter added that Afghanistan under the Taliban is being held to the same standards as all other countries, in line with their international legal obligations.

Explosions Rock Khost Brigade of Mansoori Corps

Jan 4, 2023, 13:29 GMT+0

Sources said that several explosions took place inside a brigade of the Taliban's Mansoori Corps in Ismailkhel Mandozai district of Khost province. Sources told Afghanistan International that the explosions took place on Tuesday at midnight.

According to these sources, the sound of these explosions had also been heard in Khost city.

The Taliban local officials have not commented on the reports of the explosion, and the Ministry of Defense of the group in Kabul said that it is not aware of these explosions.

In 2022, there were also reports of a US drone strike on the Taliban's Mansoori Corps in Gereshk district of Helmand and in Gardiz, the center of Paktia province. At that time, the Ministry of Defense of the Taliban denied these reports.

Journalist Faizullah Faizbakhsh Released From Taliban Detention, Says Watchdog Group

Jan 4, 2023, 12:57 GMT+0

Afghan reporter, Faizullah Faizbakhsh, has been released from the Taliban prison after five months in detention. The Afghan Journalists Center announced that Faizbakhsh has signed a guarantee letter to get released from the Taliban intelligence detention in Kabul.

He had been detained by the Taliban while filming the neighbourhood where the leader of al-Qaeda, Ayman al-Zawahiri, had been killed in Kabul.

Faizbakhsh was detained along with American journalist Ivor Shearer in Shirpur area of Kabul.

Shearer is an American journalist and filmmaker, and along with another American citizen was freed by the Taliban and returned to the US in late December 2022.

The American authorities did not give any explanation about the conditions under which the two Americans had been released. Tom West, the US Special Representative for Afghanistan had welcomed their release.

After the detention of Faizbakhsh, his family told Afghanistan International that they do not know about his whereabouts.