• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

No Signs of Decrease in Drug Trafficking from Afghanistan, Says Tajikistan

Feb 6, 2024, 09:33 GMT+0

Tajikistan's Drug Control Agency has reported that despite the Taliban's claims of anti-narcotics measures, there have been no indications of a decrease in drug trafficking from Afghanistan to Tajikistan.

The agency stated that drug production continues in underground laboratories within Afghanistan.

Russian news agency TASS, citing the agency on Monday, reported that drugs produced in Afghanistan are being trafficked to Tajikistan and then, to other countries.

According to the report, more than 2.5 tonnes of illegal substances were seized in 2023 in areas of Tajikistan bordering Afghanistan.

TASS added that this amount of drugs constitutes more than half of the total drugs seized in Tajikistan last year.

The report also mentions that Tajikistan has no information on the Taliban's measures against drug production and trafficking. This is despite Taliban officials claiming effective implementation of a ban on drug cultivation and production in Afghanistan.

The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) had reported a 95% reduction in poppy cultivation and opium production in Afghanistan. However, the UN noted an increase in the production of industrial drugs, especially methamphetamine, in Afghanistan under Taliban rule.

Iranian officials have also previously stated that despite the ban on opium and poppy cultivation in Afghanistan, drug production and trafficking from Afghanistan to Iran have not decreased.

Most Viewed

Taliban Minister Meets Shia Figures, Says All Sects Are Respected
1

Taliban Minister Meets Shia Figures, Says All Sects Are Respected

2

Gold Mine Tensions Escalate As Taliban Arrest Commanders’ Relatives

3

Iran Plans To Broaden Energy & Water Cooperation With Taliban

4

Central Asian Security Hinges On Stability In Afghanistan, Says Kyrgyz President

5

Russia-Afghanistan Trade Reaches $500 Million, Says Deputy PM Overchuk

•
•
•

More Stories

Türkiye Arrests 17 Suspected Members of ISIS-Khorasan

Feb 5, 2024, 13:05 GMT+0

Anadolu News Agency reported that Türkiye’s National Intelligence Organisation (MIT) has arrested 17 members of ISIS-Khorasan in an operation in Istanbul city.

The media outlet stated that this operation dealt a "significant blow" to ISIS-Khorasan, which recently claimed responsibility for an attack on a church in Istanbul.

The report notes that "as a result of intelligence efforts, the so-called Istanbul province head of ISIS-Khorasan and terrorists active with him were identified”.

Anadolu News Agency added, "In an operation conducted in collaboration with Istanbul police, the Turkish National Intelligence Organisation arrested 17 suspects, inflicting a major blow to ISIS-Khorasan's recruitment, financing, and logistics activities."

Turkish media have not released information about the identities of the arrested individuals.

Last Sunday, two attackers targeted the Italian Santa Maria Church in Istanbul, resulting in one casualty.

Following the incident, ISIS released a statement claiming responsibility for the attack.

Ali Yerlikaya, Turkiye’s Interior Minister, had previously announced the arrest of two individuals suspected of involvement in the attack. The detainees at that time were identified as citizens of Russia and Tajikistan.

US Strike in Syria Kills a Fatemiyoun Commander and Three Members

Feb 5, 2024, 11:35 GMT+0

The Telegram channel "Modafeen Haram" - Defenders of the Shrine- reported that Ali Hosseini, Hamzeh Alavi, Mohammad Ali Akbari, and Mohammadreza Sadat Alavi, four members of the Fatemiyoun brigade, were killed in a US strike in Syria.

Ali Hosseini was said to be one of the commanders of the Fatemiyoun brigade in eastern Syria.

Published images show him alongside Qasem Soleimani, the dead commander of the Quds forces.

The US military conducted a strike in eastern Syria early on Saturday, targeting militants affiliated with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The US stated that this attack was in response to the killing of their soldiers in Jordan.

Last week, three US soldiers were killed in drone attacks by Iran-supported groups in northeastern Jordan.

The Fatemiyoun Brigade, under the supervision of Iran's Quds Force, consists of Afghan migrants in Iran and had been sent to fight in Syria since several years.

The previous Afghan government in 2020 had asked the Islamic Republic of Iran to dissolve the Fatemiyoun brigade. Afghan officials at that time emphasised that the use of Afghan migrants in proxy wars is inconsistent with international laws.

Observers and human rights activists have consistently criticised the Islamic Republic for exploiting the dire residency and living conditions of Afghan refugees in Iran to recruit them to participate in regional conflicts, including in Syria.

Fars News Agency, affiliated with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, published a brief biography of one of the Fatemiyoun members killed in the recent US strike in Syria.

It has been reported that 65-year-old Hamzeh Alavi, originally from Parwan province in Afghanistan, was a veteran member of the Fatemiyoun brigade, killed on Saturday, in Syria.

According to Fars, Alavi had also participated in the Iran-Iraq war while serving in the Iranian military forces.

4 Countries Protest Taliban's Failure To Curb Terrorism In Afghanistan: Pak Daily Report

Feb 5, 2024, 10:40 GMT+0

According to a Sunday report by Pakistani daily Express Tribune, sources indicate that China, Russia, Pakistan, and Iran have lodged a quiet protest against Taliban government over the uncontrolled activities of terror groups in Afghanistan.

The newspaper detailed that the representatives of these countries expressed their dissatisfaction regarding the Taliban's failure to exert control over terrorist organisations within Afghanistan.

The Express Tribune's sources revealed that these representatives, who attended a regional meeting in Kabul, conveyed their joint protest to the Taliban.

The meeting saw participation from representatives of India, Turkey, Indonesia, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, China, Pakistan, Russia, and Iran.

While the Taliban deemed this regional meeting involving multiple countries as a significant accomplishment, they did not publicly acknowledge the concerns presented by the attending delegates.

Both China and Pakistan have consistently voiced their objections, through official and private channels, about the presence of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan and Uyghur Islamist separatists in Afghanistan. Notably, Islamabad has adopted a more assertive approach towards the Afghan Taliban in response to attacks conducted by Pakistani militants operating from Afghan territory.

Afghanistan Freedom Front Claims Responsibility For Attack On Taliban Members In Kabul

Feb 5, 2024, 09:28 GMT+0

The Afghanistan Freedom Front (AFF) claimed responsibility for an assault at a Taliban checkpoint in the Khoshal Khan Mina area of Kabul on Sunday.

This attack led to the death of two Taliban members and the injury of another.

In a post on the social media platform X, AFF stated that the Taliban personnel stationed at this checkpoint had been engaged in the harassment of Afghan girls.

Previously, AFF has launched attacks on Taliban checkpoints which had been accused of arbitrarily detaining women. On January 11, AFF targeted a Taliban intelligence convoy in the 500 Family area, who had allegedly been involved in the plot to apprehend girls. This operation resulted in the death of three Taliban members and injuries to two others.

AFF has declared that those affiliated with the Taliban and involved in illegal activities are considered valid targets for their actions.

Over the past several months, AFF has intensified its campaign against the Taliban, frequently targeting their bases and checkpoints, leading to multiple Taliban casualties.

Multiple Highways In Afghanistan Closed Due To Heavy Snowfall

Feb 3, 2024, 16:05 GMT+0

Following heavy snowfall in many provinces of Afghanistan, several highways have been closed to traffic.

As per the local media outlets, key routes such as Salang, Kabul-Ghor route, Shatu mountain pass, and communication routes in Bamiyan and Daikundi are currently inaccessible to traffic.

The Salang crossing, which recently reopened, had to be closed to traffic again on Saturday due to severe snowfall and storm.

Officials overseeing the Salang crossing are advising travellers to refrain from using this route at the moment. Salang holds significant importance as it connects nine northern and northeastern provinces along with four commercial ports in Afghanistan.

Bakhtar News Agency, under the control of the Taliban, has reported, quoting officials from the group in the Ministry of Public Works, that heavy snowfall on Saturday led to the closure of the Ghor-Kabul highway. Additionally, communication routes between the centre of Ghor province and six districts have also been affected.

The Shatu mountain pass, connecting the Yakawlang districts, has been closed as well due to adverse weather conditions.

Furthermore, the Qonaq mountain pass along the route connecting Daikundi to Kabul province, along with various district routes leading to the capital of Daikundi province, have been closed since Saturday morning.