• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Torkham Border Crossing Closed For Visa-Free Patients

Mar 11, 2024, 15:12 GMT+0

Sediqullah Quraishi, the head of the Taliban's information and culture administration in Nangarhar province, said that Pakistan has closed the Torkham border crossing for patients lacking passports and visas.

Quraishi added that this restriction was implemented starting Monday evening.

In a statement to Bakhtar News Agency, which is under Taliban control, he stated that Pakistan has not provided a clear reason for the closure of the crossing.

As per this local Taliban official, Pakistani border authorities have issued instructions to border management officials, directing them not to permit travel to Pakistan for individuals lacking the necessary visas.

Quraishi added that the group is working to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

This is while the local sources at the Torkham border crossing reported two days ago that Pakistani authorities had set March 31 as the last day for travel without a passport and visa.

Nearly two months ago, Pakistani authorities had also restricted the crossing of patients without passports and visas at the Torkham border crossing.

Most Viewed

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC
1

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC

2

UK Envoy Discusses Women’s Participation In Afghanistan With Taliban Ambassador

3

Explosion Hits Taliban Recruitment Centre In Ghor, Says Anti-Taliban Group

4

Pakistani Defence Minister Warns Taliban Against Ties With Pakistan’s Enemies

5

Operations Against Afghan Taliban Will Continue, Says Pakistan PM

•
•
•

More Stories

Afghanistan’s Population Nearly 35 Million, Claims Taliban

Mar 11, 2024, 13:54 GMT+0

Mohammad Halim Rafi, Taliban’s spokesperson for National Statistics and Information Authority (NSIA), announced that according to their estimates, the population of Afghanistan is approximately 34.9 million.

Rafi stated, "At least 51% of the population are males, and the remaining are females."

He acknowledged that they do not currently have the necessary budget for an accurate population census. On Tuesday, Radio Television Afghanistan, controlled by the Taliban, reported, citing Rafi, that the government plans to develop a new programme aimed at achieving it.

Meanwhile, he disclosed that 76 active centres are distributing electronic IDs in Afghanistan, with most of these centres operating in Kabul.

Earlier, the Taliban's NSIA had announced that 12,288,000 electronic IDs have been issued so far.

Rafi mentioned that the group’s NSIA has conducted four significant surveys across Afghanistan in the year 1402 [Hijri calendar].

Following the takeover of power in August 2021, the Taliban announced their intention to conduct a population census in Afghanistan.

Taliban’s Supreme Court Flogs 4 Men in Parwan Province

Mar 11, 2024, 11:21 GMT+0

The Taliban’s Supreme Court announced the flogging of four men on charges of "banditry" in Parwan.

According to the Taliban statement, each individual received 39 lashes and a six-year prison sentence as part of their punishment.

The flogging sentence was carried out on Friday, March 8, by the Taliban's court in Parwan province.

The group did not provide additional details regarding the execution of this sentence.

Earlier on Thursday, Taliban had also punished four individuals in Helmand on various charges.

Since the takeover of power by the group, physical punishments have been implemented. Despite international calls to cease public and physical punishments, the group persists in carrying out such measures against accused individuals.

Will Make Our Own Money, Passport & Weaponry, Claims Taliban Minister

Mar 11, 2024, 10:22 GMT+0

Noorullah Noori, the Taliban’s Minister of Borders and Tribal Affairs, has said that the group will soon make its own money, passports, weapons, and electricity.

Noori stated that the Taliban has effectively addressed all matters, but those who have left Afghanistan present an inaccurate picture.

Speaking at a gathering in Nangarhar province, he said that Afghanistan will achieve self-sufficiency in producing wheat, fruits, oil, and electricity "in a few days" and will soon make its own passports and weapons.

Noori criticised those who departed from the country following the group's return to power, labelling them as "Western slaves" who disseminate inaccurate information about their country to the international community.

AFF To Halt Military Operation During Ramadan

Mar 11, 2024, 09:33 GMT+0

The Afghanistan Freedom Front (AFF), an anti-Taliban armed group, announced on Monday that it is suspending its military offensives for the next month.

The front stated that unless they are not attacked by the Taliban, they will refrain from engaging in military operations until the end of Ramadan and the days of Eid.

On X social media platform, AFF wrote, "In case of witnessing provocative actions by the Taliban group, such as harassment, inhumane treatment, and violent encounters against civilians, especially women, it will assess the option of a military response against this group during the month of Ramadan.”

In recent months, the Freedom Front has carried out guerrilla attacks on Taliban bases and outposts in several Afghan cities, especially Kabul.

The front claimed that over the past two years, it has killed 592 Taliban members and injured 699 members of the group by attacking 233 targets across the country.

CASA-1000 Project’s Practical Work To Begin In April

Mar 9, 2024, 15:22 GMT+0

The Taliban announced that the "CASA-1000" project has been signed on Friday, with Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, and the practical work is set to commence in April.

Zabihullah Mujahid wrote on X social media platform, that the World Bank is financially supporting the project.

The National Electricity Company of Afghanistan (DABS) also wrote on X social media platform that a meeting regarding the CASA-1000 project was held in Istanbul, Turkey, with representatives from the World Bank, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Pakistan in attendance.

This state-owned company, under the control of the Taliban, said that the CASA-1000 project will continue from the Sher Khan Port in Kunduz province to the Torkham border crossing in Nangarhar province, spanning a length of 580 kilometres.

The CASA-1000 project aims to transfer electricity from Central Asia to South Asia. The project was inaugurated in Tajikistan in 2016, with the participation of regional leaders, and was scheduled to be completed by March 2022.

However, following the Taliban's takeover of Afghanistan, the project's progress came to a halt. Reuters reported in August 2022 that practical work on the CASA-1000 project had been stalled due to the unstable situation in Afghanistan.