• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Iran Claims Participation Of Over 100,000 Afghan Migrants In President’s Funeral

May 25, 2024, 14:13 GMT+1

As per IRNA news agency and General Directorate of Foreign Nationals and Immigrants of Khorasan Razavi Province, of the nearly 700,000 Afghan migrants residing in Mashhad, 100,000 participated in the funeral ceremony of Ebrahim Raisi.

While the General Directorate of Foreign Nationals and Immigrants of Khorasan Razavi did not specify how this number was calculated, IRNA reported that before the start of Raisi's funeral, Hossein Sharafati-Rad, Director General of the Bureau for Aliens and Foreign Immigrants Affairs in Khorasan Razavi province, attended a memorial service for Raisi in Mashhad held by Herat residents, in which reportedly thousands of Afghan migrants participated.

The claim of thousands of attendees at the ceremony held by Herat residents is made despite the fact that photos from the event do not appear to show a crowd of even a few hundred people, and images of Afghan migrants at Raisi's funeral indicate a very small number of participants.

According to the General Directorate of Foreign Nationals and Immigrants of Khorasan Razavi, after Tehran, which has the highest number of foreign migrants, Mashhad has nearly 400,000 documented foreign nationals and close to 300,000 undocumented foreign nationals.

At the said ceremony, the director-general claimed that the establishment of the National Migration Organisation was one of Ebrahim Raisi's legacies, although this claim is disputed since the draft for establishing this organisation was prepared and sent to parliament during the Rouhani administration.

The policy of the Iranian government towards Afghan migrants, including the difficulties they face in education and employment in Iran, as well as restrictions on their movement and residence in certain provinces, has drawn significant criticism in recent years.

In a report in June 2023, the Didban Iran website noted that some public schools in Iran were illegally charging Afghan students for enrolment.

According to the "Children's Assistance Association," public schools were taking amounts ranging from 500,000 Iranian tomans to millions from Afghan students, which is considered a "bribe" and is illegal.

Previously, the Director-General of Foreign Nationals and Immigrants Affairs of Kermanshah Province announced a ban on the movement, residence, and employment of Afghan migrants in 16 provinces: East Azerbaijan, West Azerbaijan, Ardabil, Zanjan, Kurdistan, Kermanshah, Ilam, Lorestan, Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari, Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad, Gilan, Mazandaran, Sistan and Baluchistan, Hormozgan, and Hamadan.

An Iranian media also reported that parts of the provinces of Isfahan, Bushehr, South Khorasan, Khorasan Razavi, Khuzestan, Semnan, Fars, Qazvin, Kerman, Golestan, and Yazd are off-limits for Afghan residents.

Earlier this year, more than 540 artists, lawyers, doctors, journalists, and civil and social activists called for an end to the harassment of Afghan migrants in Iran, stating that Iran's legal system has, over the years, created significant obstacles and challenges to the integration of migrants into the host society.

Most Viewed

Policy Towards Taliban Will Remain Unchanged, Says Pakistan
1

Policy Towards Taliban Will Remain Unchanged, Says Pakistan

2

EU Parliament Members Push To Cancel Taliban Visit To Brussels

3

EU Invitation To Taliban Sparks Political Backlash And Criticism

4

Taliban Official Calls For Visa-Free Travel Between Afghanistan & Uzbekistan

5

Flooding In Baghlan Kills 15 People

•
•
•

More Stories

Taliban Court Forcefully Marries Imprisoned Girl To Group Member

May 25, 2024, 11:22 GMT+1

A Taliban court in Parwan forcefully married Shahpari, a 25-year-old imprisoned girl, with a member of the group.

Relatives of Shahpari told Afghanistan International that the Taliban detained her six months ago on kidnapping charges in Parwan and subsequently, the group’s urban court sentenced her to three years in prison. The Taliban have not provided information about her charges and the forced marriage.

Relatives told Afghanistan International that Shahpari was forcibly married off by a Taliban city court judge while she was sentenced to three years in prison. Sajjad, Shahpari’s brother, said that the Taliban member named Raihan has since confined Shahpari inside a house in the Ghorband Valley. According to Sajjad, Shahpari has managed to make several phone calls to her family requesting for her rescue during this time.

Shahpari, originally from Dasht-e-Barchi in Kabul, had her relatives approach the Taliban courts in Parwan after receiving her phone calls. Her brother told Afghanistan International that this Taliban member works for a local Taliban media outlet in Parwan and was married to another women too.

Complaints in Taliban Courts

Shahpari’s mother, in a complaint letter obtained by Afghanistan International to the Taliban appellate court in Parwan, wrote, “My daughter Shahpari, a single woman, who was sentenced to five years of imprisonment by the Islamic Emirate’s Sharia court, was serving her time in Parwan prison.”

Her mother further wrote, “Shahpari was not ready for marriage, but the prison officials and the court gave her away to a husband.” Quoting her daughter, the mother stated that Shahpari is currently in house arrest at a private residence by an unknown person.

According to a document obtained by Afghanistan International, Mufti Abdul Wali Halim, the head of the Taliban appellate court in Parwan, wrote in a letter to the urban court’s criminal panel, “Consider the contents of the complaint and proceed according to procedural and investigation principles.”

Sajjad said that the Taliban initially told them Shahpari was sentenced to five years for kidnapping but later, upon their approach to the Taliban city court in Parwan, announced her sentence was three years. He added that they do not have access to the case details or the specifics of the charges against Shahpari, and the Taliban have only informed the family of the charge and the duration of imprisonment. He also said the Taliban did not inform them about the forced marriage.

Sajjad added that his sister had gone to a friend’s house in Parwan province and was arrested by the Taliban on kidnapping charges.

Threats and Forced Religious Conversion

Sajjad, Shahpari’s brother, said that after receiving a phone call from his sister, he approached the Taliban city court. He said that the judge of this court threatened them with imprisonment and forcibly expelled them from the office.

Sajjad added, “We told the Taliban city judge to bring Shahpari and her husband and if my sister was happy with this marriage, we would have no problem. However, the Taliban judge refused to do so.”

Sajjad said, “I also spoke with Raihan, a Taliban member, but he warned me not to make any more phone calls to Shahpari and claimed that Shahpari is his lawful wife.”

The brother also said that this Taliban member has pressured Shahpari to convert from “Shia to Sunni” sect of Islam after the forced marriage.

Last month, the US Commission on International Religious Freedom reported that the religious freedom of minorities, including Shiites, has been violated in Afghanistan.

Recently, the US Department of State in its annual human rights report stated that 16 women out of 90 imprisoned in the provinces of Jowzjan, Faryab, and Samangan became pregnant after being raped by Taliban members.

The US Department of State also stated that the Taliban have executed at least four women in Samangan after repeated rapes by its members.

NRF Claims Killing Two Taliban Members In Herat Province

May 25, 2024, 10:37 GMT+1

The National Resistance Front (NRF) announced on Friday that it has killed two Taliban members and injured another in the 12th police district of Herat.

NRF stated that no harm was done to its forces or civilians in this attack.

In a statement released by the Front on Friday, it had been mentioned that this attack took place last night.

NRF said that it will continue its attacks in various parts of the country against the Taliban until the group's "illegitimate" rule in Afghanistan has ended.

29 Terrorists Killed Along Afghan Border, Says Pakistan Army

May 23, 2024, 16:06 GMT+1

The Pakistan army announced that "29 terrorists have been killed" during a series of operations along the border with Afghanistan in the past one month.

According to Pakistani army officials, these operations began on April 21 in the border areas with Afghanistan.

The media wing of the Pakistan army announced on Wednesday that their security forces have killed 29 terrorists along the Afghanistan border over the past month.

Pakistan considers these operations part of a broader effort to curb the influence of "terrorists" who target security forces and civilians in Pakistan.

This comes as last week, Pakistani security forces clashed with the Taliban in the border region of Dand Wa Patan. The clashes ended after five days with the mediation of local elders from both sides of the border.

The media unit of the Pakistan Army also stated that they have repeatedly asked the Taliban in the past to assure effective management of the border areas.

In recent months, Pakistani officials have frequently accused the Taliban of harbouring Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) following an increase in terrorist attacks in the country.

Pakistan claims that terrorist attacks in the country are planned and organised from Afghanistan soil, but the Taliban have consistently rejected these claims, stating that armed groups opposing the Pakistani government are not present in Afghanistan.

Former HCNR Chairman Meets Representatives of EU, UK & Spain

May 23, 2024, 14:53 GMT+1

Abdullah Abdullah, former Chairman of the High Council for National Reconciliation (HCNR), met representatives from the European Union, the United Kingdom, and Spain in Kabul.

On his X social media account, Abdullah wrote that during this meeting, they discussed and exchanged views on the "current situation of the country and the third Doha meeting”.

In the picture shared by Abdullah, Raffaella Iodice, Chargé d’Affaires of the European Union Delegation to Afghanistan; Robert Chatterton Dickson, Chargé d'Affaires of the UK Mission to Afghanistan, and Ricardo Losa, Spanish Ambassador to Afghanistan, are present.

The Chairman of the High Council for National Reconciliation of the former Afghan government did not provide details about his discussions with the European diplomats regarding the third round of the Doha meeting.

In the note published by Abdullah, he mentioned that he asked the European diplomats to increase humanitarian aid to the flood victims in Afghanistan.

The United Nations announced on Wednesday that the third round of the Doha meeting, with the participation of special representatives from various countries for Afghanistan, will be held on the June 30 and July 1.

Qatar Asks Taliban To Participate In Third Doha Meeting

May 23, 2024, 13:47 GMT+1

Mohammed bin Abdulaziz Al-Khulaifi, Qatar's Minister of State at the Foreign Ministry, during his visit to Kabul, urged the Taliban to send their representative to the third meeting of special representatives in Doha.

During his meeting with Abdul Ghani Baradar, Taliban’s Deputy Prime Minister for Economic Affairs, Al-Khulaifi said that Qatar hopes that the third Doha meeting will come to a conclusion with the presence of the Taliban representative.

The press office of this Taliban official wrote in a statement on Thursday that Baradar met with him in his office.

The office of Mullah Baradar, quoting Al-Khulaifi, wrote that such meetings "will not yield results" without a Taliban representative.

According to Al-Khulaifi, Qatar has made its position clear to the United Nations on this matter.

The Taliban's Deputy Prime Minister for Economic Affairs also stated that without the presence of a Taliban representative, the international conference on Afghanistan will not reach any conclusion. This Taliban official emphasised that the Taliban's position should be respected in such meetings.

The third Doha meeting is scheduled to be held on June 30 and July 1.

In the previous two Doha meetings on Afghanistan, hosted by the United Nations, a Taliban representative was not present. The United Nations hopes that a representative from the group will participate in the third meeting.

Meanwhile, the Taliban's Political Commission held a meeting on Thursday, chaired by Abdul Kabir, the Taliban's Deputy Prime Minister for Political Affairs, to discuss the upcoming Doha meeting.