• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Ex-Afghan Deputy Speaker Zahir Qadir Arrested In Kenya, Faces US Extradition

Apr 22, 2025, 12:37 GMT+1

Abdul Zahir Qadir, former Deputy Speaker of Afghanistan’s parliament, has been arrested in Kenya and is facing extradition to the United States on charges related to drug trafficking and possession of heavy weaponry.

According to The Nairobi Times, Qadir was apprehended at a hotel in Nairobi shortly after arriving in the country on 14 April 2025 aboard a Qatar Airways flight. Kenyan police, acting on a request from the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), secured a detention warrant from the court, citing Qadir's lack of a fixed residence and high flight risk.

Kenyan prosecutors revealed that a US court had issued an arrest warrant for Qadir on 25 March 2025. Nicholas DiFrancesco, a DEA special agent, confirmed that an official complaint had been filed in the Southern District of New York. The charges include conspiracy to import narcotics and possession of a machine gun.

On 15 April 2025, a Nairobi court reviewed the matter and granted authorisation for the extradition process to move forward. The court also approved the Kenyan Attorney General’s request for Qadir’s continued detention, citing concerns that his release could jeopardise the extradition and hinder investigations into potential accomplices who remain at large.

Authorities warned that Qadir might attempt to flee to a jurisdiction lacking an extradition treaty with the United States, thereby obstructing the legal process.

The Nairobi Directorate of Criminal Investigations confirmed Qadir's arrest and affirmed that he would remain in custody pending further proceedings. Meanwhile, his family had previously claimed he was detained in Dubai, a claim now contradicted by the official account from Kenyan authorities.

Most Viewed

Taliban Sends More Forces To Badakhshan, Says Sources
1

Taliban Sends More Forces To Badakhshan, Says Sources

2

EU Parliament Approves Resolution Urging Sanctions Against Taliban Leaders

3

Former Afghan Army General Detained Over Alleged Killing Of Two Women

4

Russia & China Raise Alarm Over Terrorism Threat In Afghanistan

5

Senior Taliban Delegation Visits Turkmenistan

•
•
•

More Stories

Taliban Leader Warns of “Infidel Propaganda” In Ongoing Narrative War

Apr 22, 2025, 11:19 GMT+1

The Taliban’s reclusive leader, Hibatullah Akhundzada, made a rare public appearance and speech at Kandahar University, where he warned of an ongoing “narrative war” waged by the western countries following what he described as their military defeat in Afghanistan.

According to a statement released on Tuesday by the Taliban’s Ministry of Higher Education, Akhundzada addressed thousands during a four-day religious conference titled “Teaching Islamic Culture Subjects,” held under the leadership of Nangarhar University. The event, hosted at Kandahar University, reportedly brought together over 2,600 participants.

In his speech, Akhundzada declared, “The infidels were defeated in the war in Afghanistan, and now they have started a narrative war, which we must fight together against.” He emphasised the need for continued resistance, stating: “For twenty years, the people of Afghanistan did jihad for the establishment of the Sharia system. Now, even if it takes a hundred years of sacrifice, we must not tire in its implementation.”

He also underscored the importance of education, urging officials to serve in a way that turns students into a “spiritual force” for Afghan society. Stressing unity among Taliban members and their supporters, he added: “I want for you the same as I want for myself, and if you want for me the same as you want for yourselves, then no enemy can create division among us, and the system will face no problems.”

The Ministry’s statement noted that over 2,000 attendees pledged allegiance to Akhundzada during the event. Neda Mohammad Nadeem, the Taliban’s Minister of Higher Education, explained the pledge as a complete submission of one’s life and property to the “Amir” in exchange for the establishment of “the religion of Allah.”

No images or videos from the conference have been released, consistent with Akhundzada’s strict avoidance of media exposure.

Notably absent from the Taliban leader’s speech was any mention of the ongoing ban on education for girls and women. Since returning to power in August 2021, the Taliban has barred an estimated 2.2 million Afghan girls from attending school and has prohibited women from accessing higher education; moves widely condemned by the international community.

Despite international pressure, Akhundzada has remained firm in his stance on enforcing what he interprets as Sharia law. As a result, the reopening of girls’ schools remains uncertain, and no country has formally recognised the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan.

Taliban Detains Social Media Critic, Forces Public Confession

Apr 22, 2025, 09:47 GMT+1

The Taliban has arrested a social media user critical of its rule and reportedly coerced him into making a public confession.

According to sources, Taliban security forces detained Taimur Shah Jalalzai, a resident of Andar district in Ghazni province, on charges of spreading propaganda against the group.

Taliban officials stated that Jalalzai was identified and apprehended by the group’s cyber and technical unit. He has since confessed to his alleged activities, they claim.

Media outlets affiliated with the Taliban have circulated a video showing Jalalzai making what appears to be a forced confession. In the video, he asks the Taliban for forgiveness and pledges not to repeat his actions. Taliban sources allege that Jalalzai had been operating under pseudonyms on platforms such as TikTok and Facebook, where he posted what they described as “defamatory, propagandistic, and misleading” content.

Jalalzai is reportedly a resident of Liwan village in the Andar district of Ghazni province.

Over the past four years, the Taliban has detained thousands of individuals on similar charges, including accusations of anti-regime propaganda and criticism of its leadership. Among those arrested are more than a dozen journalists, raising ongoing concerns about freedom of expression and press under Taliban rule.

Russian Envoy Invites Taliban Energy Minister To Kazan Economic Forum

Apr 22, 2025, 08:50 GMT+1

The Taliban’s Minister of Energy and Water has expressed gratitude to Russia for removing the group from its list of terrorist organisations and has called on Russian investors to participate in major infrastructure projects in Afghanistan.

In a statement released on Monday, the Ministry of Energy and Water announced that Abdul Latif Mansoor, the Taliban-appointed minister, met with Dmitry Zhirnov, Russia’s ambassador to Kabul. During the meeting, Mansoor invited Russian state and private companies to invest in Afghanistan’s water and energy sectors.

Key projects highlighted included the transfer of water from Panjshir to Kabul, the construction of dams in the provinces of Takhar, Baghlan, Herat, and Ghazni, as well as electricity generation from coal, wind, solar, and gas resources.

The minister thanked the Russian government for its recent decision to remove the Taliban from the list of banned organisations, a move he said would enhance economic and trade relations between Kabul and Moscow.

This follows a ruling by Russia’s Supreme Court, which officially delisted the Taliban as a terrorist organisation. The Taliban has welcomed the decision, describing it as a step forward in strengthening bilateral ties.

Ambassador Zhirnov, in turn, extended an official invitation to Mansoor to attend the upcoming Kazan Economic Forum, scheduled for May this year. The Taliban minister accepted the invitation and confirmed his attendance.

Taliban Authorises Publication Of Books Conforming To Islamic & Afghan Values

Apr 21, 2025, 18:25 GMT+1

The Taliban's Ministry of Information and Culture has convened a meeting of the Book Evaluation Commission, which approved several books for publication. The ministry stated that these books align with "Islamic, national, and Afghan values."

Since the Taliban's return to power, the Book Evaluation Commission, chaired by Ziaulhaq Haqmal, former head of Bakhtar News Agency, has intensified its scrutiny of books and cultural content.

The commission has imposed stringent restrictions on publishing and printing in Afghanistan, mandating that no book be printed without its approval.

The Taliban have also enforced widespread controls on libraries, printing houses, and publishing institutions nationwide. Inspections of public and private libraries have led to bans on the distribution, sale, and accessibility of numerous books, periodicals, and artistic and literary works. Bookstores in the capital have received lists of prohibited titles, with warnings against their purchase or sale.

Frequent commission meetings and ongoing censorship have sparked significant concern among writers, publishers, and cultural activists. Critics contend that the Taliban are using the commission to enforce ideological conformity and shape an official narrative across Afghan society.

Taliban's 20 Percent Cut In Security Forces Targets ‘Undesirable’ Personnel First

Apr 21, 2025, 16:32 GMT+1

The Taliban has ordered a 20 percent reduction in its security forces, directing that the dismissals begin with individuals labelled as “undesirable and unpopular,” according to an internal letter signed by Defence Minister Yaqub Mujahid and obtained by Afghanistan International.

The letter, addressed to the Ministry of Interior and the General Directorate of Intelligence, follows a broader directive from Taliban leader Hibatullah Akhundzada, dated 12 April, instructing security institutions including the Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Interior, and intelligence agency to reduce staff due to budgetary constraints. Affected personnel are to be placed on “active reserve” status.

In the document, the Taliban’s Security and Clearance Commission, chaired by Mujahid, underscores the need for careful implementation to avoid organisational disruption. Referencing Order No. 5528, dated 27 March 2025, the commission outlines a tiered approach to the downsizing process.

Priority is to be given to removing those deemed “undesirable and unpopular.” Subsequent phases will target personnel recruited after the Taliban’s return to power, associates and relatives of “martyrs” (excluding immediate family), individuals unwilling to work officially, households with more than two employed fighters, the elderly, and those with minimal past militant engagement.

The directive was sent directly to the Ministry of Defence, with instructions for immediate enforcement.

However, these criteria appear to contradict Akhundzada’s initial order, which stated that reductions should begin with auxiliary personnel, such as contracted guards. His decree also mandated a monthly compensation of 5,000 Afghanis for those dismissed.

Observers have raised concerns that the vague term “undesirable” could be used to remove remaining employees linked to the former Afghan Republic, potentially under the guise of administrative reform.

The move has sparked discontent among Taliban fighters affected by the cuts. In recent weeks, social media has seen a wave of complaints from dismissed personnel, particularly guards, who say they bear the brunt of the downsizing despite their service.