• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Pakistan’s Fazlur Rehman Sees Opening After Taliban Dialogue Remarks

Dec 30, 2025, 11:18 GMT+0

Maulana Fazlur Rehman, leader of Pakistan’s Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam, said he welcomed recent remarks by senior Taliban officials signalling a willingness to resolve differences with Islamabad through dialogue.

In a post on X, Fazlur Rehman said statements by the Taliban’s interior and foreign ministers were encouraging for Pakistan and urged Islamabad to pursue a similar approach. He was referring to a declaration issued on Monday by participants in a meeting of the “Majlis Ittehad-e-Ummat Pakistan” held in Karachi.

The JUI leader, who is widely seen as close to the Taliban, said the declaration had received a positive and appreciative response from Taliban Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi and Interior Minister Sirajuddin Haqqani.

“These messages are encouraging for Pakistan,” Fazlur Rehman said, expressing hope that Pakistani officials would also view the efforts of religious scholars and groups positively and take steps towards easing tensions and promoting peace between Kabul and Islamabad.

Taliban interior minister Sirajuddin Haqqani has previously said the Taliban leadership is seeking reasonable solutions to current problems and aims to address misunderstandings with the international community through dialogue. On Sunday, December 28, speaking at Kabul Municipality, he welcomed and thanked Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar and several Pakistani clerics for what he described as their “positive statements” about Afghanistan, urging cooperation in rebuilding the country rather than pursuing confrontation.

A day earlier, Dar welcomed a fatwa issued by Taliban clerics calling for an end to the export of war beyond Afghanistan’s borders. In separate remarks, Muttaqi also praised the Karachi meeting, saying Pakistani religious scholars had offered “the best advice” to their system and that Afghanistan respects the constructive role of clerics in strengthening brotherhood and bringing the two countries closer.

Relations between Pakistan and the Taliban have been strained in recent months, with repeated clashes along the border. Pakistan has also carried out several airstrikes in and around Kabul and in southern and eastern Afghan provinces, though it has never officially claimed responsibility. Islamabad accuses the Taliban of supporting the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, an allegation the Taliban deny.

Delegations from both sides later held talks in Doha, resulting in an announcement of an immediate ceasefire. However, subsequent negotiations in Istanbul ended without a final agreement.

Most Viewed

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC
1

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC

2

UK Envoy Discusses Women’s Participation In Afghanistan With Taliban Ambassador

3

Explosion Hits Taliban Recruitment Centre In Ghor, Says Anti-Taliban Group

4

Pakistani Defence Minister Warns Taliban Against Ties With Pakistan’s Enemies

5

Taliban Restrict YouTubers And Video Content Creators In Kandahar

•
•
•

More Stories

Probe Into Assassinations Of Taliban Opponents Is Ongoing, Says Iran

Dec 29, 2025, 17:31 GMT+0

Esmail Baghaei said investigations are continuing into the assassination of two former Afghan military personnel in Tehran, speaking publicly five days after the killings.

At a press conference on Monday, Baghaei said Iran’s security agencies are investigating the deaths of Ikramuddin Sari and Mohammad Amin Almas, two Afghan citizens who were shot dead on Wednesday evening, December 24, in Tehran’s Vali-e Asr neighbourhood.

Without naming the victims or referring to their military backgrounds, Baghaei said: “The security of our own citizens and the security of anyone living in Iran, whether as a refugee, a traveller, or under any other status, is extremely important to us.”

He said Iran would respond decisively to any act that endangers public security. “Under no circumstances will we allow the security of society and of those living in our country to be undermined,” Baghaei said, expressing condolences to the families of the victims. He condemned the attack and added: “The diplomatic apparatus will intervene in this matter whenever necessary.”

The relatively prolonged silence of Iranian officials following the second assassination of former Afghan military personnel on Iranian soil had drawn criticism.

The killings came about four months after another former Afghan military commander close to Ismail Khan, identified as Marouf Gholami, was assassinated in Mashhad.

Iran maintains close relations with the Taliban. Officials from both sides regularly travel between the two countries, and Afghanistan’s diplomatic missions in Iran are under Taliban control.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks. However, Taliban opposition groups have accused the Taliban of being behind the killings.

Earlier, Tehran Governor Hossein Khosh-Eghbal said the results of the investigation would be announced by Sunday. As of Monday, Iranian authorities had yet to release any findings.

UN Rapporteur Calls for Probe Into Killings Of Former Afghan Servicemen In Tehran

Dec 29, 2025, 15:58 GMT+0

Richard Bennett, the United Nations special rapporteur on human rights in Afghanistan, has called for an independent investigation into the killing of former Afghan military personnel in Tehran.

In a post on X on Monday, Bennett said he was deeply concerned by the assassinations and stressed that those responsible for the killings of General Ikramuddin Sari and Mohammad Amin Almas must be identified and prosecuted.

Nearly five days after the killings, Iranian authorities have yet to publish the results of their investigation.

Sari, a former commander in Afghanistan’s police force, and Almas, a commander in the Afghan army, were shot dead late Wednesday in Tehran’s Vali-e Asr area. Less than four months earlier, Marouf Gholami, a military commander close to former jihadi leader Ismail Khan, was assassinated in the northeastern city of Mashhad.

The Taliban has not commented on the killings. Opponents of the Taliban have blamed the group for the assassinations of former Afghan military personnel in Tehran.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Esmail Baghaei, addressed the incident five days after the killings, saying investigations by Iran’s security agencies were continuing and condemning the attack.

Earlier, Tehran Governor Hossein Khosh-Eghbal said authorities were reviewing the killing of General Sari and that findings would be announced on Sunday. However, despite that pledge, Tehran police had not released the results of their investigation as of two days later.

Former Afghan Soldier Arrested By Taliban After Deportation From Iran

Dec 29, 2025, 14:36 GMT+0

Reliable sources told Afghanistan International that the Taliban have arrested Azimullah Mohammadi, a former soldier in the Afghan army, in Kabul after his deportation from Iran.

According to the sources, Mohammadi was deported from Iran about three months ago. An informed source said the arrest took place roughly two weeks ago. The Taliban have not commented on the reported detention.

Since the Taliban takeover in August 2021, former Afghan security personnel have faced arbitrary arrests, torture and extrajudicial killings. These threats are not confined to Afghanistan, and in recent months several assassinations of former security force members have also been reported in Iran.

Investigative findings by Afghanistan International show that former security personnel remain at risk of arrest and extrajudicial killings even after being deported from Iran. The report has documented at least six killings and 11 arrests of deported former security members, although the actual number of victims is believed to be higher.

Taliban Publicly Flog Pair In Northern Afghanistan

Dec 29, 2025, 12:25 GMT+0

The Taliban’s Supreme Court said a man and a woman were publicly flogged in the Sayed Khel district of Parwan province on charges of an extramarital relationship.

In a statement issued on Monday, the court said each was sentenced to 30 lashes and one year in prison. The punishment was carried out after approval by the the Supreme Court and in the presence of local officials and members of the public.

The flogging marks the second public application of corporal punishment by the Taliban in less than 24 hours. On Sunday, December 28, a man and a woman were flogged in Takhar province on charges described as “running away from home and illicit relations” and were also sentenced to one year in prison.

According to figures compiled by Afghanistan International, the Taliban have flogged more than 100 people nationwide over the past two weeks, including at least 15 women.

A recent United Nations report said that between August 1 and October 31, the Taliban flogged at least 215 people across several provinces, including 44 women and 171 men.

Despite repeated objections from international organisations to corporal punishment and the torture of suspects, the Taliban have continued to carry out public floggings. Human rights groups say the Taliban’s judicial system lacks due process and that defendants are denied fair trial guarantees, including access to legal counsel.

Taliban Intelligence Assassinated General Sari In Tehran, Says Former Afghan VP

Dec 29, 2025, 11:43 GMT+0

Yunus Qanuni, a former Afghan vice president, said Taliban intelligence was responsible for the assassination of Ikramuddin Sari, a former Afghan security commander, in Tehran. He added that there is no doubt the group’s intelligence bodies conduct cross-border operations.

Speaking on Sunday at an online memorial ceremony for Sari, Qanuni said the slain commander could have become a unifying figure for former officers and younger Afghans opposing the Taliban. “We, as comrades and friends, must act to prevent the repetition of such incidents,” he said.

Qanuni said the killing of Sari and his companion, Mohammad Amin Almas, in Tehran, the earlier assassination of Commander Marouf Gholami in Mashhad, and a recent incident in Tajikistan form a chain of targeted killings initiated by the Taliban.

According to Qanuni, the Taliban have demonstrated a new approach by eliminating figures capable of building unity and playing a role in challenging the group’s rule in Afghanistan.

General Ikramuddin Sari, a former Afghan police commander, and Almas, a former army commander, were killed on Wednesday evening in Tehran’s Valiasr area. Less than four months earlier, Gholami, a military commander close to Ismail Khan, was shot dead in Mashhad.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, but Taliban opponents have blamed the group.

Hossein Khosh-Eghbal, Tehran’s governor, has said authorities are investigating Sari’s assassination. “We are investigating, but have not yet reached a conclusion,” he told Ensaf News, adding that findings would be announced on Sunday. Two days later, Tehran police had yet to release any information.

Ahmad Massoud, leader of the National Resistance Front, has called on the Islamic Republic of Iran to conduct a serious investigation into the killings of former Afghan military figures in Tehran. He compared Sari’s assassination to the killing of Hamas leader Ismail Haniya and said Iran must “cut off the hands of terrorists” from its territory.