
Pakistan’s military has vowed to avenge the killing of two security personnel who died Saturday in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, warning that it would not let an attack launched from Afghan territory go unanswered.
In a statement, the army said the assault was carried out using Afghan soil and pledged to show no restraint in pursuing those responsible, saying it would retaliate against the perpetrators wherever they may be.
The military accused the Taliban of once again failing to prevent insurgents from using Afghan territory to carry out terrorist operations inside Pakistan.
It added that militants, described as “Khawarij”, continued to stage attacks in Pakistan from across the border, violating the sanctity of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
The Taliban have not responded to the latest statement. However, their spokesperson, Zabihullah Mujahid, has previously denied that fighters from Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan or Baloch separatists are operating from Afghan soil, accusing Pakistan of shifting blame for its security failures onto Afghanistan.
Earlier Saturday, the army said insurgents attacked a security forces convoy in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, killing a lieutenant colonel and a soldier. It said five members of the Pakistani Taliban were also killed in the ensuing exchange of fire.