• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Explosion Hits Taliban Recruitment Centre In Ghor, Says Anti-Taliban Group

May 19, 2026, 17:13 GMT+1

Afghanistan Green Trend says it attacked a Taliban military recruitment centre in Firozkoh, the capital of Ghor Province, on Monday, May 18, using explosives planted inside the facility.

The group released a video claiming responsibility for the attack.

In a statement attributed to Afghanistan Green Trend, the group said: “Green Unit guerrillas skilfully planted explosive materials inside the Taliban army recruitment command in Firozkoh city, Ghor province, which were later detonated.”

At least three local sources also confirmed that an explosion occurred in Firozkoh and told Afghanistan International that the blast was heard across the city.

However, the sources did not provide details about possible casualties or damage.

Afghanistan Green Trend said the exact number of Taliban casualties and the extent of the damage remain unclear but stressed that its attacks would continue “until Afghanistan is liberated”.

This is the second time Afghanistan Green Trend, led by Amrullah Saleh, former vice president of Afghanistan, has independently claimed responsibility for an attack against the Taliban through its official channels, separate from the National Resistance Front of Afghanistan led by Ahmad Massoud.

The group had previously claimed responsibility for an attack on Taliban patrol forces in Mazar-i-Sharif on April 21.

Amrullah Saleh joined the National Resistance Front in Panjshir after the fall of the Afghan republic in 2021.

A Taliban official, responding to questions from Afghanistan International, denied that the attack had taken place.

Most Viewed

Gold Mine Tensions Escalate As Taliban Arrest Commanders’ Relatives
1

Gold Mine Tensions Escalate As Taliban Arrest Commanders’ Relatives

2

Central Asian Security Hinges On Stability In Afghanistan, Says Kyrgyz President

3

Taliban Minister Meets Shia Figures, Says All Sects Are Respected

4

Iran Plans To Broaden Energy & Water Cooperation With Taliban

5

Russia-Afghanistan Trade Reaches $500 Million, Says Deputy PM Overchuk

•
•
•

More Stories

Taliban Restrict YouTubers And Video Content Creators In Kandahar

May 19, 2026, 16:00 GMT+1

Local sources in Kandahar say the Taliban have again imposed restrictions on YouTubers and video content creators, summoning several creators and banning them from producing and publishing videos.

Sources in Kandahar say Taliban officials from the Ministry for the Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice warned YouTubers and social media activists against publishing video content on social media platforms.

One YouTuber in Kandahar said: “We made videos about the city, historical sites, markets, traditions and people’s lives to show the world that Afghanistan is not only war.”

He added that some of his productions also raised awareness about harmful social customs, drug abuse, illiteracy and other major social issues.

Several other YouTubers said their videos had received thousands and even millions of views and had played an important role in presenting Afghan culture and daily life.

According to them, YouTube had also become a source of income for many young people.

One of the creators said: “We worked hard for years. YouTube was one of our main sources of income, but now that making videos has been banned, we are effectively unemployed.”

The young creators also pointed to rising unemployment in the country, saying the restrictions on video production currently appear to apply only in Kandahar province.

Under the Taliban’s morality law, publishing images of “living beings” is prohibited.

As part of enforcing the law, the Taliban have suspended the activities of state television and several local media outlets in multiple provinces.

International organisations have repeatedly condemned the Taliban’s ban on publishing images of living beings and called on the group to revise the policy and respect freedom of expression in Afghanistan.

India Tightens Citizenship Rules For Afghan Migrants

May 19, 2026, 14:23 GMT+1

India has announced that, under the Citizenship Amendment Act, applicants for citizenship from Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh must declare the details of any valid or expired passports they hold.

Those granted Indian citizenship must surrender their previous passport within 15 days.

According to a notification recently issued by India's Ministry of Home Affairs, religious minorities from Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh applying for Indian citizenship must declare details of any passport information they hold.

Indian officials have said that this measure was introduced after cases were identified in which some applicants for Indian citizenship were still in possession of Afghan, Pakistani, or Bangladeshi passports. India does not recognise dual citizenship.

Applicants for Indian citizenship have been instructed that, if they hold a passport, they must provide all relevant information, including the number, date of issue, place of issue, and expiry date, and hand it over to the relevant authorities.

The Indian Parliament passed the country's controversial citizenship law in 2019. Under this law, the government may grant Indian citizenship to nationals of three countries, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh, who have been victims of persecution.

Muslims are not covered by this law. Under its provisions, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, and Christians who entered India before 2015 are eligible to apply for Indian citizenship.

Since the Taliban's rise to power, the rights of ethnic and religious minorities in Afghanistan have been significantly violated. This situation has led many Sikhs to seek refuge in India, Canada, and other countries.

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC

May 19, 2026, 11:13 GMT+1

BBC World, in a report on poverty and unemployment in Ghor province, has written that Afghan families, out of desperation, are resorting to harrowing choices, such as selling their own children, to cover basic living costs.

Saeed Ahmad, a resident of Ghor, told the BBC that after his five-year-old daughter, Shaiqa, was diagnosed with appendicitis and a liver cyst, and he was unable to afford the cost of her treatment, he was forced to sell her.

He said: "I had no money to pay the medical expenses. So I sold my daughter to a relative,"

Shaiqa's surgery was successful. The cost was paid out of the same 200,000 afghanis (3,200 dollars) for which she had been sold.

Shaiqa's father said he had reached an agreement with his relatives whereby they would, for now, pay only the cost of her treatment, with the remaining sum to be paid over the next five years. He said: "If I had taken the whole sum at that time, he would have taken her away.”

Saeed says: “If I had money, I would never have taken this decision, but then I thought, what if she dies without the surgery? This way at least she will be alive.”

The BBC wrote in its report that men gather every dawn at a crossroads in Chaghcharan, Ghor, hoping to find work. They are only able to bring bread home for their families if someone comes to hire them; but on many days, they return home empty-handed.

Juma Khan, aged 45, said he had found work on only three days in the past six weeks, earning between 150 and 200 afghanis (2.35 dollars) a day. He says: "My children went to bed hungry three nights in a row. My wife was crying, so were my children. So I begged a neighbour for some money to buy flour."

Abdul Rashid Azimi, another Ghor resident, holding his seven-year-old twin daughters Ruqia and Rohila in his arms, says he is prepared to sell them.

Weeping, he added: "I'm willing to sell my daughters, I'm poor, in debt and helpless." "I come home from work with parched lips, hungry, thirsty, distressed and confused. My children come to me saying 'Baba, give us some bread'. But what can I give? Where is the work?", he said.

Holding Rohila in his arms and kissing her, this father says: "It breaks my heart, but it's the only way."

Kayhan, the family's mother, said: "All we have to eat is bread and hot water, not even tea."

Two adolescent boys from this family polish shoes in the city centre. Another collects rubbish, which the mother uses as fuel for cooking.

Rising child mortality

The report also highlighted a rise in child deaths in Afghanistan due to poverty and hunger.

Mohammad Hashim, who lost his 14-month-old daughter a few weeks ago, told the BBC: “My child died of hunger and a lack of medicine... When a child is sick and hungry, it is obvious they will die,”

A local elder said that child deaths, primarily due to malnutrition, have truly increased over the past two years.

The BBC wrote that, owing to the absence of any official records of child deaths in Ghor, it visited a local cemetery as the only witness to these events.

The report stated: “we counted the small and big graves separately. There were roughly twice as many small graves as big ones – suggesting twice as many children as adults.”

The report added that further evidence was found at the main provincial hospital in Chaghcharan. Among other things, the neonatal ward is the busiest part of the hospital, with some beds even holding two babies. Most are underweight and often struggle to breathe on their own.

Fatima Husseini, a nurse at this hospital, said that on some days as many as three newborns die in a single day: “In the beginning, I found it very hard when I saw children dying. But now it has almost become normal for us.”

The story of these families is one shared by many citizens inside Taliban-controlled Afghanistan. According to the United Nations, three out of every four people are currently unable to meet their basic needs, such as adequate food.

The report stated that unemployment has become widespread in Afghanistan, the health system is collapsing, and the aid that once met the most essential needs of millions has been drastically reduced.

The United Nations previously, in a report, noted widespread shortages of water, food, medical services, shelter, heating, and clothing affecting millions of families, and stated that more than 80 percent of households are in debt.

Hamdullah Fitrat, the Taliban's deputy spokesperson, responding to the report's findings, told the BBC: “During the 20 years of invasion, an artificial economy was created due to the influx of US dollars, after the end of the invasion, we inherited poverty, hardship, unemployment and other problems.”

Aid agencies and human rights organisations have consistently said that the Taliban's restrictions on women are among the main reasons for the reduction in aid and the reluctance of donors to support Afghanistan. However, Fitrat rejected this, saying humanitarian aid should not be politicised.

UK Envoy Discusses Women’s Participation In Afghanistan With Taliban Ambassador

May 19, 2026, 09:56 GMT+1

UK Special Envoy Richard Lindsay says he held a “valuable” meeting in Doha with Suhail Shaheen, stressing the importance of Afghan women and girls participating fully in society.

The UK representative for Afghanistan wrote on X on Monday, that the meeting also highlighted the importance of improving relations between the Taliban and Pakistan.

Over the past five years, the Taliban have imposed sweeping restrictions on Afghan women and girls, including bans on education in schools and universities, restrictions on employment in many sectors and reduced job opportunities, affecting the lives of millions.

Despite repeated calls from Western countries, international organisations and human rights groups to lift these restrictions, the Taliban have not reversed their policies and have instead expanded many of the limitations in recent years.

Pakistani Defence Minister Warns Taliban Against Ties With Pakistan’s Enemies

May 19, 2026, 09:06 GMT+1

Pakistan's Defence Minister on Monday once again referred to the Afghan Taliban as India's proxy force, saying that if the group is unable to confront Pakistan's enemies, it should at the very least refrain from supporting them.

Khawaja Asif, Pakistan’s Defence Minister, told the Taliban not to befriend Pakistan's enemies.

Speaking to Geo News on Monday, Khawaja Asif said that during recent meetings with Mullah Yaqoob, the Taliban's Defence Minister, he had stressed that Afghanistan's enemies in the past have also been Pakistan's enemies.

Nevertheless, Pakistan's Defence Minister believes that the Afghan Taliban's approach to this issue has now shifted, and that Afghanistan under the group's control is acting as a "proxy" for India against Pakistan.

Asif had previously claimed that the Taliban had become India's proxy force and were waging New Delhi's war against Islamabad. He warned that if the Taliban did not cease supporting militants and cross-border terrorism, Pakistan would respond to the Taliban in the same manner it had responded to India.

As insecurity has spread across Pakistan, Islamabad has repeatedly accused the Afghan Taliban of harbouring and supporting insurgent groups, particularly Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, a group which, according to Pakistani officials, is supported and organised by India on Afghan soil.

In response, the Afghan Taliban have repeatedly stated that they will not allow Afghan territory to be used against any other country and have stressed that Pakistan's security issues are an internal matter for that country.