• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Pak Presidential Spokesperson Calls Taliban 'Brainless' After Grave Desecration Report

Feb 16, 2026, 10:34 GMT+0

Murtaza Solangi, spokesperson for Pakistan’s president, again criticised the Taliban after reports that the body of a former Afghan serviceman was exhumed from his grave in Uruzgan province.

Solangi reposted a report on X alleging that Taliban members in Uruzgan had dug up the body of a former soldier, beheaded it and desecrated the grave.

“This [is] why I call them brainless beasts,” he wrote.

The Taliban police command in Uruzgan confirmed that on Saturday night the body of Sediqullah, a former member of the previous Afghan government’s security forces, was exhumed from the Martyrs’ Cemetery in Tarinkot.

The former serviceman’s family told Afghanistan International that Taliban forces destroyed his grave in the centre of Uruzgan province on Saturday night and removed his body from the burial site.

Images and videos obtained by Afghanistan International show the grave completely destroyed, with the burial chamber exposed. The footage indicates that the body was removed from the grave.

Solangi previously used similar language to describe the Taliban in response to an Afghanistan International report documenting the killing of 6,660 Afghans over nearly four years under Taliban rule.

Most Viewed

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC
1

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC

2

Gold Mine Tensions Escalate As Taliban Arrest Commanders’ Relatives

3

UK Envoy Discusses Women’s Participation In Afghanistan With Taliban Ambassador

4

Central Asian Security Hinges On Stability In Afghanistan, Says Kyrgyz President

5

Pakistani Defence Minister Warns Taliban Against Ties With Pakistan’s Enemies

•
•
•

More Stories

Split Confirmed In Afghan National Movement For Peace & Justice

Feb 16, 2026, 10:06 GMT+0

Hanif Atmar, a member of the leadership council of the Afghanistan National Movement for Peace and Justice, has confirmed a split within the political group.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the movement said five of its 17 leadership council members opposed provisions of the organisation’s charter and decided to separate from the group.

The statement said several leadership council members and some ordinary members disagreed with the movement’s strategy of pursuing a political solution and building national consensus.

It added that the leadership council had held hours of discussions in recent weeks in an effort to uphold the charter’s objectives and preserve unity within the organisation.

According to the statement, a majority of the founding council and members voted to continue pursuing the two strategies.

Last week, a statement circulated in the movement’s name expressing support for armed struggle against the Taliban. The National Movement for Peace and Justice later described that statement as fabricated.

The group said it believes a lasting and fundamental solution to Afghanistan’s complex crises lies within the framework of a political settlement. Such a solution, it said, should include a guaranteed intra-Afghan agreement and an accord between Afghanistan and the international community to establish a legitimate political system, strengthen security and achieve durable peace.

The anti-Taliban political movement stressed that the first step toward this goal is building consensus and unity among political forces. According to the statement, several members who opposed this core strategy and policy have now left the movement.

The movement was founded in late 2022 by several former Afghan government officials. Prominent members include Atmar, a former foreign minister, and Mohammad Masoom Stanekzai, who previously led the former government’s negotiating team.

Afghans Would Help Iran If US Attacks, Says Taliban

Feb 16, 2026, 08:35 GMT+0

The Taliban’s chief spokesperson, Zabihullah Mujahid, said in an interview with the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Pashto-language radio service that Afghans would be prepared to cooperate with the Iranian people if the United States were to attack Iran.

Part of the interview was published on Sunday, 15 February, on the Pashto-language website of Iran’s state radio.

Speaking in a cautious tone, Mujahid said the Taliban does not support war but could assist the Iranian nation in dealing with the consequences of such an attack.

The Pashto website quoted him as saying that Iran had also emerged victorious during a previous US attack and would succeed again.

He appeared to be referring to a 12-day aerial confrontation between Israel and Iran, in which the United States also participated in what it described as “Operation Midnight Hammer”. During the operation, the US targeted several nuclear facilities in Iran.

Iran’s Pashto radio also quoted Mujahid as saying that the Islamic Republic’s success stemmed from the capabilities of its political system, adding that Iran has the right to defend itself.

Although Tehran has not formally recognised the Taliban as Afghanistan’s official government, it has maintained contact and engagement with the group.

UN Seeks $216 Million To Support Returning Afghan Migrants

Feb 14, 2026, 13:52 GMT+0

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) says more than 5.4 million Afghan migrants have returned from neighbouring countries since late 2023, warning that the scale of returns is placing severe pressure on humanitarian assistance.

The agency said it requires $216 million to support returnees and internally displaced people, but only 8 percent of the needed funding has been secured so far.

According to UNHCR figures, more than 150,000 Afghan migrants have returned from neighbouring states since the beginning of this year. The organisation warned that aid efforts, amid the arrival of thousands of people each day, are under severe strain and beyond existing capacity.

UNHCR representative Arafat Jamal told a press conference in Geneva on Friday that the speed and scale of the returns have pushed Afghanistan deeper into crisis. Afghanistan is already facing worsening hunger, intensified by mass deportations from Iran and Pakistan, declining foreign aid and continuing economic turmoil.

Jamal said the return of millions of people equivalent to about 12 percent of Afghanistan’s population has pushed the humanitarian response system to the brink.

A recent World Bank report found that rapid population growth driven by returns contributed to a 4 percent decline in per capita GDP in 2025. A new UNHCR survey also found that more than half of returning families lacked identity documents, while over 90 percent were living on less than $5 a day.

The survey showed that 5 percent of returnees plan to leave Afghanistan again, and more than 10 percent reported that a relative or community member had already departed again after returning.

The United Nations said that, given the severe humanitarian situation and the rapidly growing population, urgent additional support will be needed in 2026 to expand aid programmes and invest in reintegration efforts.

Water-Rights Talks With Taliban Continue, Says Iran

Feb 14, 2026, 11:06 GMT+0

Iran’s vice president and head of the Department of Environment, Shina Ansari, said negotiations with the Taliban on water rights are continuing, adding that understandings reached so far have been verbal.

Speaking to the Islamic Republic News Agency, Ansari said the minimum water allocation to Iran under the 1973 agreement on the Hamoun wetlands must be ensured, and that Tehran is seriously pursuing implementation of the arrangement.

She stressed that Iran’s water share should be delivered in a structured and reliable manner.

Ansari said Iran’s Sistan and Baluchestan province, near the Afghan border, is currently facing water shortages because of insufficient supply, affecting people’s livelihoods.

Two Taliban Fighters Killed In Badakhshan Attack, Says Anti-Taliban Group

Feb 14, 2026, 09:35 GMT+0

The Afghanistan Freedom Front says its forces carried out an attack on a Taliban watchtower in Baharak district of Badakhshan province on Friday evening, killing two Taliban members.

In a statement posted on X, the group said its fighters targeted “a watchtower at the entrance to the border brigade of the Taliban’s 219th division stationed in the Qalatak area of Baharak district, Badakhshan province.” The group added that none of its fighters were harmed in the attack.

Local sources earlier confirmed to Afghanistan International that an explosion had occurred in the area. According to the sources, Taliban forces blocked roads leading to their base following the incident.

Taliban officials have not yet commented on the claim.