• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Afghans Ignore Pakistan’s Decades Of Hospitality, Says Balochistan Chief Minister

May 23, 2026, 11:56 GMT+1

Sarfraz Bugti, Chief Minister of Pakistan's Balochistan province, says Afghanistan has forgotten Pakistan’s hospitality towards Afghan refugees over the past four decades.

Speaking on Friday in Okara, Bugti said the security situation in Balochistan was more serious than in Punjab.

He added that terrorists have no nationality and claimed that Afghan terrorists fall into that category.

Pakistani officials have repeatedly claimed that insecurity in Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa originates from Afghanistan, accusing the Taliban of sheltering and supporting Baloch separatists and the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan. The Taliban deny the allegations.

The chief minister of Balochistan claimed that Pakistan had hosted Afghan refugees with an open heart for more than 40 years, but said countries including the United States, Russia, United Kingdom and China now regard them as a security and terrorism threat.

Pakistan has intensified the deportation of Afghan migrants over the past two years as relations with the Taliban have deteriorated, expelling nearly two million people from the country.

Many of those deported had lived in Pakistan for years.

Despite international pressure and criticism, Pakistan has continued the deportation campaign against Afghan migrants.

Most Viewed

Policy Towards Taliban Will Remain Unchanged, Says Pakistan
1

Policy Towards Taliban Will Remain Unchanged, Says Pakistan

2

EU Parliament Members Push To Cancel Taliban Visit To Brussels

3

Taliban Official Calls For Visa-Free Travel Between Afghanistan & Uzbekistan

4

Flooding In Baghlan Kills 15 People

5

EU Invitation To Taliban Sparks Political Backlash And Criticism

•
•
•

More Stories

Afghanistan Is Unsafe For Returning Refugees, Says UN Rapporteur

May 23, 2026, 11:04 GMT+1

Richard Bennett, the UN Special Rapporteur on human rights in Afghanistan, on Friday May 22 warned in a note on X about the rising trend of Afghans being deported from neighbouring countries and Europe.

He stressed that Afghanistan is not a safe country and that returnees face the risk of harassment, detention, torture, hunger, and worse.

Richard Bennett added that international human rights obligations must be taken seriously.

These remarks come as, in recent months, several countries, including Pakistan, Iran, Turkey, and some European countries, have intensified the process of deporting or forcibly returning Afghan asylum seekers.

Bennett, who is responsible for monitoring the human rights situation in Afghanistan, has previously warned on numerous occasions about the deteriorating humanitarian and security conditions in the Taliban-controlled country.

He reposted on his X account a report in which Volker Türk, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, stressed that countries must halt deportations to Afghanistan.

Volker Türk described the European Union's proposed new rules on the deportation of Afghan asylum seekers as concerning. The UN official stressed that returning asylum seekers to Taliban-controlled Afghanistan places them at serious risk.

In a statement on Friday May 22, Volker Türk described the deportation of Afghan asylum seekers as a violation of international refugee and human rights law and said that the proposed rules on migration currently under consideration in the European Union weaken human rights guarantees and expose asylum seekers to harm.

The UN high commissioner said Afghan women, children and men are being expelled from countries where they sought safety and are being forced to return to Afghanistan against their will, exposing them to serious danger.

He stressed that returning people who face serious threats violates the fundamental principle of non-refoulement and urged governments to uphold their international legal obligations towards refugees.

A spokesperson for the UN Human Rights Office has also criticised the deportation of Afghan migrants from host countries, saying the move puts returnees at risk.

So far, no official reaction has been released by the Taliban or by the deporting countries.

EU Invitation To Taliban Sparks Political Backlash And Criticism

May 22, 2026, 16:49 GMT+1

The European Union is facing strong criticism from lawmakers and human rights groups after inviting Taliban officials to Brussels for talks on the deportation of Afghan refugees.

The European Commission confirmed that, together with Swedish authorities, it is planning to host technical meetings with a Taliban delegation in the Belgian capital during the coming summer, although the exact date has not yet been finalised.

If the visit goes ahead, it will mark the first time since the fall of Kabul in August 2021 that the European Union has officially hosted Taliban officials.

The last time a European country hosted a Taliban delegation, in Oslo for talks with humanitarian organisations, the move triggered widespread street protests.

Markus Lammert, a spokesperson for the European Commission confirmed that EU migration officials and Sweden’s justice ministry had sent a letter to the Taliban to assess their willingness to attend the technical meeting in Brussels.

According to Lammert, the discussions focus on a proposal put forward in October last year by 20 EU and Schengen member states.

Under the proposal, member states seek to deport Afghan asylum seekers who are not granted residency rights and are considered security threats back to Taliban-controlled Afghanistan.

He stressed, however, that the talks do not amount to recognising the Taliban as Afghanistan’s legitimate government.

At present, Russia remains the only country to have formally recognised the Taliban administration.

A Betrayal Of European Values

According to figures from the European Union Agency for Asylum, around 65 percent of Afghans are granted asylum in Europe but plans to deport the remaining 35 per cent to Taliban-controlled Afghanistan have sparked outrage.

Raquel Garcia Hermida-van der Walle, a member of the European Parliament from the Netherlands, condemned the move, saying: "Inviting a Taliban delegation to Brussels to discuss migration is a betrayal of our values. The Taliban receive the privilege of dealmaking with the entire European Union, and some seem fine with it."

She added: “Europeans died to give women and girls their rights. So no, don't legitimise the Taliban, ever. Those who carry out crimes against humanity should never set foot on European soil without passing through the International Criminal Court in The Hague first.”

At the same time, Pina Picierno, Vice-President of the European Parliament, submitted a written question to the European Commission demanding a justification for the decision.

She asked how the Commission could justify the move when the United Nations regards the forced return of Afghan asylum seekers as contrary to international law and the Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled against the deportation of Afghan women, arguing that engaging with the Taliban goes beyond a simple operational contact and amounts to the de facto recognition of a repressive regime that commits crimes against humanity against women and girls.

Hannah Neumann, another member of the European Parliament, also sharply criticised the term "technical meetings", saying: "There is nothing 'technical' about opening doors to extremists while those who fought these extremists are stuck in Afghanistan, Iran or Turkiye, waiting years for visa appointments." Neumann also expressed concern that Taliban officials now run Afghanistan's consulates in Germany "as if it were the most normal thing in the world."

Neumann also expressed concern that Taliban officials are now overseeing Afghan consulates in Germany.

The controversial invitation comes after the International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants in July last year for Hibatullah Akhundzada and Abdul Hakim Haqqani over the systematic persecution of women and girls.

At the time, the Taliban dismissed the warrants as “meaningless” and evidence of “hostility towards Islam”.

Zabihullah Mujahid, the Taliban Spokesman, said: “We do not recognise anything called the international court and do not consider ourselves bound by its orders.”

It remains unclear whether the Taliban delegation travelling to Brussels would include individuals subject to EU sanctions.

When asked who would pay for the Taliban delegation’s flights, Markus Lammert said the EU had not yet reached that stage and was currently only assessing the Taliban’s willingness to participate in the talks.

The Taliban have so far neither officially confirmed nor denied their participation in the meeting or responded publicly to the criticism surrounding it.

India Sends 20 Tones Of Vaccine Supplies To Afghanistan

May 22, 2026, 15:47 GMT+1

India says it has sent 20 tones of essential supplies for BCG, tetanus and diphtheria vaccines to Kabul to support Afghanistan’s child immunisation programme.

Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for India's Ministry of External Affairs said on Friday that India had delivered the medical supplies and vaccine materials to support Afghanistan’s national child immunisation programme.

He described the assistance as an important step towards meeting the needs of Afghanistan’s health sector.

Jaiswal said the shipment includes specialised dry materials used in the preparation of BCG, tetanus and diphtheria vaccines, which are considered vital for children’s health and strengthening immunity.

He stressed that India remains committed to supporting the Afghan people in the healthcare sector.

New Delhi said it would continue its cooperation to improve health services and help save the lives of Afghan children.

India has been strengthening ties with the Taliban and, following the closure of Afghanistan’s border crossings with Pakistan, has repeatedly sent medicine and medical equipment to Kabul.

Policy Towards Taliban Will Remain Unchanged, Says Pakistan

May 22, 2026, 14:33 GMT+1

Pakistan says its policy towards the Taliban will not change unless the group stops supporting militants operating from Afghan soil.

Tahir Andrabi, Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, said on Friday that relations between Pakistan and Afghanistan are currently shaped by one single factor, the use of Afghan territory to plan, direct and carry out attacks inside Pakistan.

He described groups such as Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan and the Baloch Liberation Army as the main perpetrators of the attacks and claimed that the Taliban regime is either complicit or allowing them to operate through inaction.

Referring to Pakistan’s retaliatory measures since October last year, Andrabi stressed that Islamabad is seeking written guarantees from the Taliban and that relations will remain tense until such assurances are provided.

The remarks come as political and economic ties between Pakistan and the Taliban have effectively stalled, with direct talks between the two sides also suspended.

Following the latest round of talks in Urumqi, there has been no sign of renewed negotiations between officials from either side.

China is reportedly trying to organise and mediate a new round of talks between Islamabad and the Taliban, but Pakistan appears reluctant to participate due to what it sees as the Taliban’s failure to act against militant groups.

The diplomatic deadlock comes amid a sharp rise in militant attacks across Pakistan, particularly in tribal regions and the provinces of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan.

Islamabad accuses the Taliban of sheltering militants responsible for the violence.

In response to the pressure, the Taliban have stepped up efforts to reduce Afghanistan’s dependence on Pakistan for trade and transit.

In recent months, the Taliban administration has moved closer economically and diplomatically to India, Pakistan’s longstanding rival, while also seeking to strengthen alternative trade routes through Iran and Central Asian countries.

At the same time, the repeated closure of major border crossings between the two countries has caused heavy financial losses for traders on both sides.

International organisations and aid agencies have also expressed serious concern about the humanitarian impact of the border closures, saying Afghan patients who relied on travelling to Pakistan for medical treatment have been among the hardest hit.

Pakistan Strike On Kabul Hospital Must Be Investigated, Says UN Rapporteur

May 22, 2026, 13:45 GMT+1

Richard Bennett, the UN Special Rapporteur on human rights in Afghanistan, has called for a full and independent investigation into Pakistan's recent deadly strike on a drug rehabilitation hospital in Kabul.

In a message posted on the social network X, Bennett said that more than 269 civilians had been killed in Pakistan's air strike on the addiction rehabilitation hospital in Kabul on 15 March.

Warning of the legal consequences of the action, the UN Special Rapporteur stressed that " deliberate attacks on civilians or civ objects may amount to war crimes." He also called on the Taliban to ensure the safety of patients at such centres.

On the evening of 15 March, Pakistani fighter jets, as part of an operation known as "Ghazab-Lil -Haq", bombed the drug treatment centre in eastern Kabul. Since 2016, the centre had operated as one of the largest addiction-treatment facilities, with a capacity of close to two thousand patients.

While the United Nations has confirmed the deaths of 269 civilians and the wounding of a further 122 in the incident, Taliban officials have put the death toll at more than 400.

At the same time, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have described the attack as unlawful, disproportionate, and possibly a war crime, and have called for an independent investigation and accountability from Islamabad.

The Taliban have described the bombing as a deliberate massacre of patients and civilians and a flagrant violation of international humanitarian law, insisting that the Omid centre was purely a medical facility with no connection to any military sites.

Pakistan, by contrast, has rejected these claims, stating that the operation targeted military facilities, an ammunition depot, and terrorist infrastructure linked to Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, and that the medical centre was not directly targeted. Islamabad claims that secondary explosions from ammunition stored at the site caused the destruction of, and damage to, adjacent buildings.