Khenjani told Afghanistan International on Friday that during this period, Hasib Panjshiri had moved through different areas on both sides of the Hindu Kush, sometimes using mountain routes for faster movement and at other times travelling on public roads.
According to him, the commander had regularly published images from mountainous areas of the Hindu Kush, which the NRF spokesman said demonstrated that he had remained inside Afghanistan.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid confirmed to Afghanistan International on Thursday that Hasib Panjshiri had been killed while travelling through northern Salang.
Who Was Hasib Panjshiri?
Hasib Panjshiri, the 34-year-old son of Mohammad Asif Nezami, was born in Abdara village in Anaba district of Panjshir province. He had lived for many years in the Qoway Markaz area of Kabul.
The National Resistance Front says he had no fixed residence during the past five years and operated in different parts of Afghanistan.
According to the group, Hasib Panjshiri completed secondary school and later underwent officer training with Afghanistan’s National Directorate of Security. During the former republic, he served as commander of a rapid-response company within the NDS in Kabul.
His father had also served as a colonel in Afghanistan’s National Directorate of Security. Hasib Panjshiri was married and had five children.
The National Resistance Front of Afghanistan, led by Ahmad Massoud, is an armed opposition group fighting the Taliban and operates mainly in northern Afghanistan. The group says more than 1,000 of its fighters have been killed in clashes with the Taliban over the past five years.
No independent information has yet emerged about the details of the attack in northern Salang, the exact number of people killed or how the incident unfolded. The Taliban has also not provided verifiable details about the incident or the NRF’s claims.
A Commander Who Documented His Presence in Afghanistan
A review of Hasib Panjshiri’s activity on X shows that over the past several years he repeatedly posted images from mountainous areas of Afghanistan, saying he was in the foothills of the Hindu Kush.
Between 9 January 2023 and 6 June 2025, at least 10 photographs and videos were published on his account with captions referring to his presence in mountainous areas of the Hindu Kush.
He also appeared in several live media programmes, including an Instagram Live with Iranian documentary filmmaker Mohammad Hossein Jafarian, where he said he was inside Afghanistan. He also occasionally joined live discussions on X.
Hasib Panjshiri’s presence inside Afghanistan had previously been a matter of debate.
In late February 2023, Khoshal Sadat, a former deputy interior minister of Afghanistan, claimed during an audio discussion on X that Hasib Panjshiri was not in Afghanistan. Hasib responded by challenging him to publish a video showing his own location.
He also released video messages from mountainous areas on occasions such as Eid, saying he remained inside Afghanistan to continue fighting the Taliban.
Both during the past five years and after his death, the Taliban sought to cast doubt on his presence in Afghanistan. His supporters, however, say his death in northern Salang confirmed his claim that he had continued his resistance from inside the country.
From Fighting to His Death in Salang
Hasib Panjshiri was killed in an ambush by Taliban forces on Thursday, 20 August, while travelling through northern Salang. The Taliban and accounts close to the group later circulated images of his body on social media.
One of the videos showed degrading treatment of his body. A similar video had previously emerged showing Taliban fighters mistreating the bodies of men affiliated with Juma Khan Fateh in Darwaz.
Asked about the issue, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told Afghanistan International that the fighters had become “emotional” and were not aware of their behaviour.
The circulation of the images prompted reactions on social media, with some users comparing them with Hasib Panjshiri’s treatment of Taliban prisoners.
In a video released in August 2022, Hasib Panjshiri was seen among a group of Taliban prisoners. In the footage, he gave the prisoners spending money before they were released.
At the time, the National Resistance Front said it had released 45 Taliban prisoners in Panjshir. Images from the event showed Hasib Panjshiri among those involved in their release.
‘I Fight for Afghanistan’s Freedom’
In his messages, Hasib Panjshiri said he was fighting for the freedom of Afghanistan and repeatedly stressed that “freedom requires sacrifice”.
He also supported the reopening of girls’ schools and women’s rights, describing these issues as among the reasons he continued his fight against the Taliban.
The Taliban has consistently denied the existence of a widespread armed resistance against its rule in Afghanistan, but the National Resistance Front says its forces have fought the Taliban in different parts of the country over the past several years.
The group claims it has lost more than 1,000 fighters in clashes with the Taliban during the past five years, a figure that cannot be independently verified.
According to published reports, Hasib Panjshiri had also taken part in several operations against the Taliban before his death.
On 17 June 2022, his name appeared alongside Khalid Amiri in reports about an NRF operation to shoot down a Taliban helicopter in Panjshir.
Hasib Panjshiri’s death in Salang has again raised questions about the extent to which armed Taliban opponents remain present and able to move inside Afghanistan, an issue the Taliban has consistently downplayed or denied, while armed opposition groups insist they continue to operate inside the country.