• العربية
  • پښتو
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • پښتو
    • فارسی
  • Afghanistan
  • Sport
  • Markets
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Taliban Publicly Flogs Seven People in Laghman and Parwan Provinces

Dec 28, 2022, 13:27 GMT+0

The Taliban’s Supreme Court announced on Wednesday that the group had flogged six people, including a woman, in Qarghaye district of Laghman province. The group has also flogged another man in Parwan province.

These people had been flogged on various charges.

The Taliban publicly flogged another six people in Mehtarlam city of Laghman province on Tuesday.

Earlier, the group had flogged 27 people, including nine women, in Parwan province too.

The Taliban’s flogging of Afghan citizens in public has been met with international condemnation. However, the group has called the international reactions in opposition to Islamic laws.

Most Viewed

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC
1

Afghan Families Selling Children As Poverty Deepens, Reports BBC

2

UK Envoy Discusses Women’s Participation In Afghanistan With Taliban Ambassador

3

Pakistani Defence Minister Warns Taliban Against Ties With Pakistan’s Enemies

4

Explosion Hits Taliban Recruitment Centre In Ghor, Says Anti-Taliban Group

5

India Tightens Citizenship Rules For Afghan Migrants

•
•
•

More Stories

International Community Must Not Support Taliban, Says Former Higher Education Minister

Dec 28, 2022, 11:40 GMT+0

In an open letter to the German chancellor, Olaf Scholz, Abbas Basir, minister of higher education in the previous Afghan government, asked international community to stop supporting the Taliban. Basir said that the Taliban has violated human rights of Afghan women and girls.

In the letter, Basir spoke about the achievements of the past twenty years in the education sector and stressed that these achievements have been in danger after the Taliban returned to power in 2021.

He urged Germany to stand by the women of Afghanistan and support their rights and freedoms.

Basir added that the Taliban's approach to women's education is not only a violation of basic human rights, but also is clearly against Islamic values.

He emphasised that what is happening in Afghanistan is gender apartheid and even a crime against humanity.

The former minister of higher education of Afghanistan asked the German government to increase its support and assistance for female students as well as Afghan scholars by providing and facilitating scholarships.

Pakistan's Grand Mufti Asks Taliban Leader to Reverse Decision on Education of Girls

Dec 27, 2022, 14:43 GMT+0

Pakistan’s grand mufti, Muhammad Taqi Usmani, has asked Taliban leadership to lift the ban on girls' education. Usmani in a letter to Taliban leader, Hebatullah Akhundzada said that to address women’s issues in health, education, and welfare services, literate women are needed.

The Grand Mufti of Pakistan said that the Taliban can erase the propaganda of their opponents which states that the group is against girls' education, by providing women an opportunity to educate themselves.

He said that the Taliban has suspended girls’ education on the pretext that they can’t allow co-education, so he urged them to teach male and female students during different shifts and classrooms.

Earlier Usmani, who is also the vice-president of Darul Uloom Karachi in Pakistan, had asked the Taliban leader to reopen girls' secondary and high schools.

Bahrain Urges Taliban to Reverse Ban on Afghan Women Working for NGOs

Dec 27, 2022, 10:05 GMT+0

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bahrain has condemned the Taliban’s ban on women working with non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and urged the group to immediately reverse what it called an “unjustified decision”.

The ministry stressed that the Taliban’s decision violates the United Nations Security Council’s resolution 2615 and prevents the flow of humanitarian aid to Afghans.

The ban order came in a letter on December 24 from Taliban’s Economy Minister Qari Din Mohammed Hanif. Abdel Rahman Habib, spokesman for the Taliban's ministry of economy, accused female workers at the foreign aid groups of breaking dress codes by not wearing hijabs. It said any organization found not complying with the order will have their license revoked in Afghanistan. The Economy Ministry’s order comes days after the Taliban banned female students from attending universities across the country, triggering backlash overseas and demonstrations in major Afghan cities.

In fact, four international aid groups have announced suspension of their programmes in the country. The aid groups include the International Rescue Committee (IRC), Save the Children, the Norwegian Refugee Council and CARE.

They all mentioned that their ability to deliver humanitarian services rely on female staff at all levels.

United Nations Urges Taliban To Reverse Ban on Women Working for NGOs in Afghanistan

Dec 26, 2022, 14:49 GMT+0

Acting head of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Afghanistan (UNAMA), Ramiz Alakbarov, has met with Mohammad Hanif, the Taliban’s minister of economy, and urged the group to reverse its decision of banning women who work for non-governmental organisations (NGOs).

UNAMA announced that millions of Afghans need humanitarian assistance and removing barriers is vital.

The Taliban’s order on banning women to work in non-governmental organisations comes days after the group banned Afghan girls from pursuing higher education in Afghanistan.

International organisations have reacted to the Taliban’s decision and stressed that the group will deepen the humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan by banning women employees from work.

Taliban’s Ministry of Interior Confirms Killing of Group’s Chief of Police For Badakhshan

Dec 26, 2022, 12:25 GMT+0

Taliban confirmed that the group’s police chief for Badakhshan province has died in an explosion in Faizabad city. Abdul Nafe Takor, the spokesman for Taliban’s ministry of interior, added that two other people died in the explosion and two more were injured.

According to Takor, the explosion took place close to the Taliban Police Chief commander's house in Faizabad city of Badakhshan province on Monday.

He added that four people have been arrested in connection with the explosion.

Earlier, local sources had reported that on Monday morning, Mawlawi Abdul Haq Omar, the Taliban police commander for Badakhshan province, had been targeted in an explosion near his residence in the province.

Sources told Afghanistan International that the death toll has been higher than what the Taliban has announced.